Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia post operative effects

User Profile
Hello,
I have had Hernia's operation in 2004 and after 11 month, i start feeling some pain on the same place when i was in Ukraine Kiev. i visit to doctor and after check up the doctor come to notice that there are some thread (Dr. using to stitch the internal muscles, which is disappear itself)and he advice me for another operation. Than i had 2nd operation in 2005.
Last year in the month of Jan. I had some pain, swollen on the same place.Pain is start for few second, and disappear. Last year i visit to my family Dr. He gave me some medicine after that he become normal and now it start again. And now it start again with the same pain and swollen.
Can anybody suggest me what to do??? What medicine to i take to relief???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2010
Hernia post operative effects
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

After surgery on a hernia, different people develop a hernia at the same spot due to weakening of the muscles. Doctors usually use a wired structure called a mesh that is placed between the muscles and the under-skin fat tissue so that the human body can produce adhesions to prevent further hernia. In certain individuals the body reacts with inflammation towards the threads that the surgeon uses during surgery. Threads are separated into two groups: resorptive and non-resorptive. If a small part of non-resorptive thread is left in the scar, there could be inflammation. The signs of inflammation are pain, redness, local edema, etc.

Given the data that you described, You may experience inflammation at the place of the scar. However, the pain may be caused by the formation of another hernia at the same spot. You may consider seeing an abdominal surgeon to check the scar for both thread and a hernia. You may need to take pain killers. If the scar is painful to the touch, swollen and red you may consider taking antibiotics to reduce the inflammation.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.