Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia Mesh Complications???

I am a 48 yr old Female. I had a hernia repair surgery to my left abdominal area August 2008 at which time Mesh was used, (I do not know the Brand or Type used). I continued to have slight pain afterwards with increasing pain during my menstral cycle so I was advised by my GYN and PCP to have a Hyterectomy. I am 6 weeks out from the Hystrectomy and in terrible pain, but the GYN says everything checks out as far as the Hysto goes. I was taken by Ambulance to the ER 5 days after the Hysto due to tightening and heavyness in my chest and numbness and weakness in my left arm, spent 3 days in the hospital. Every kind of heart test ran except for stress test which I'm having on June 24th, 2009. Went back to ER due to excrutiating pain on 6-16-09, they ran a abdominal CT and head CT and lab work....said it all looked good. Prior to the Hysto I was experiencing spine and neck pain, burning, tingling and all the Doc's said it should be gone with the Hysto, but if anything else it's worse along with the chest pain, heaviness, abdominal pain, rib pain on left side that has now began to start on right side. I have pressure and heaviness in my shoulders and I'm just wondering if any of this could be related to the Mesh??? I am in Agony and tired of waiting on appointments with further Doctors and Tests. PCP is now treating me for Acid Reflux, still in Agony!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper djk78
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2009
I cannot imagine that your hernia repair mesh is causing all of the symptoms that you have described, and particularly the chest pain, pain on the opposite side of your abdomen, spine pain, and neck pain. You should certainly be evaluated for a pinched nerve in your spine, as well as having your heart evaluated, to rule-out more serious health problems.

It is relatively common to experience discomfort in the area of prior hernia repairs. In about 3% of cases, patients may also experience significant chronic pain in the area of the mesh repair.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Abdominal hernia repair
I too had abdominal hernia repair with mesh. The second day of my surgery a pointed lump emerged where the mesh is and I had to walk on my tip toes on that side because of severe pain. Docs dimissed my claims but nurses documented everything. On fourth day I developed severe pain in my neck and shoulder that felt like acid dripping on a raw nerve. Neck and shoulder pain lasted for three months. Now I have lumps in groin alongside mesh and am still in pain.Doc said is fluid and would drain in month if continued. Went back in month and he said was gone. Ct scan and ultrasound done by other doc verifies fluid still there.Doc did nothing.Back hurts too. Almost five months now and am getting worse. Lost twenty pounds. Diarrhia more and abdominal pain and nausea. Skin is red at edge of the lump. Feel real bad. Still suffering and doc is in denial. Will demand another opinion. Also swell in private area in front.
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Abdominal hernia repair
I too had abdominal hernia repair with mesh. The second day of my surgery a pointed lump emerged where the mesh is and I had to walk on my tip toes on that side because of severe pain. Docs dimissed my claims but nurses documented everything. On fourth day I developed severe pain in my neck and shoulder that felt like acid dripping on a raw nerve. Neck and shoulder pain lasted for three months. Now I have lumps in groin alongside mesh and am still in pain.Doc said is fluid and would drain in month if continued. Went back in month and he said was gone. Ct scan and ultrasound done by other doc verifies fluid still there.Doc did nothing.Back hurts too. Almost five months now and am getting worse. Lost twenty pounds. Diarrhia more and abdominal pain and nausea. Skin is red at edge of the lump. Feel real bad. Still suffering and doc is in denial. Will demand another opinion. Also swell in private area in front.
|

replied February 4th, 2012
incisional hernia repair surgey
age 72. I am two months out from abdominal incisional surgery. Male. It seems I have an accumulation of fat in the surgical area ;I have a "gut" feeling that this is not weight gain related.I also experience some acute pains when applying internal pressure when having a BM. Is this a normal postoperative occurrence? a plastic type mesh was implanted.
|

replied October 18th, 2012
Abdominal mesh is killing me.
I have had abdominal mesh inserted for hernia repair, and I am experiencing the same things. I also kept at my surgeon who supposedly removed the mesh two years later. But I still have the same problems. Pain in neck and chest. Excrutiating pain at times. And swelling in abdominal area that should have gone away after taking out the mesh, right? Still have problems. Told that it had to be something else. I don't think so now. Are there others out there who have experienced this?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.