Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

hernia in leg

okay well i have had this bump on my leg that is about 3inchs off my leg. When i first noticed it didn't hurt at all. Although as i kept playing soccer it increasely worse. Now I cannot run even 50% on it and it hurts all the time. I have gone to my athletic trainer about this and I take three ice baths a day and do stem work on it too. What do you think it could be or is there a way to fix it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2009
Unfortunately, based upon the limited information that you have provided, there are numerous possibilities, and so I am not able to provide you with any specific recommendations. It might be appropriate for you to see an Orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied February 23rd, 2011
its a fascial muscle hernia (tibialis anterior muscle), its one of the most common hernias, it occurs when the sheath protecting the muscle tears, the bump you see is the muscle poking out the sheath.
i was just told this by the doctor today and i also play soccer, the only way to get rid of it is through an opperation, IT will not go away by itself! Sad
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2011
are the symptoms numbing around the area and down to the foot, and burning when running when the bulge increases in size? i believe i have the same thing, im a cheerleader and i have that bugle on BOTH of my legs. The doctor said i would need surgery as well and he said i would lose feeling to my legs, does that mean i wont be able to walk anymore? or will i walk funny? that is assuming that you have felt the symptoms i listed above and if not then i must be very screwed to never cheer again :,(
|

replied June 7th, 2012
I've got the same condition, and have had the hernia on my left leg stitched. Just a slight loss of sensation and a dark line where the stitches were, otherwise, all good.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.