Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia disappear without treatment ?

Hi

How common is it for a hernia, diagnosed by a doctor to disappear after a few weeks when no treatment is given. A second doctor examined four weeks after initial diagnosis and states that the hernia could not have existed. I would be grateful for any info/links to when this has been documented.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2010
Hernias do not "disappear" without surgical correction, although in some patients, the hernia may only be intermittently visible or palpable.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied July 11th, 2013
Disappearing hernia
I had a moderately large asymptomatic inguinal hernia. It became very swollen and painful immediately after a laparoscopic prostatectomy. I thought I might need immediate surgery. I left it alone and now 4 weeks later the swelling and pain are gone as well as the hernia. No lump standing or sitting or on digital exam of the inguinal canal. I'm not complaining but at a loss for an explanation. I had a hernia repair on the opposite side 10 years ago and bilateral herniorraphy in infancy.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.