Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

hernia after surgery

I just had laproscopic inguinal hernia surgery last Monday. It still feels like I have a hernia in the same spot. I still have a small lump in my scrotum that you can feel but not see. I had my checkup and the surgeon said that it might be smelling and it would take 4-6 weeks for the swelling to subside. Should I wait longer and see if it goes away or should I talk to the surgeon again? Thanks for the help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and Welcome to ehealth

The swelling is normal since you had surgery less than 2 weeks ago. It does take time to heal.
Do you have a lot of pain?
Did you have pain when you woke up from the operation (more pain the average person would)? Any pinching, stabbing,grabbing feeling?

Did they use a mesh, if so what type/brand of mesh was used?
|

replied November 17th, 2011
My seroma have a bulge where my hernia was
I had laproscopic umbibical hernia repair june 28, 2011 and i have to keep going back to get the seroma drain i went back to the dr. 2 weeks ago and the surgon said the fluid in the seroma area has dried up... a month after the visit i'm having pain in my navel and seroma area...My seroma is swellen where my hernia was and it hurts when i lay on my stomach and walk. What can be done?
|

replied April 24th, 2008
thanks for the reply. I'm not in any pain right now. no pinching,stabbing,grabbing feelings. They used mesh but I don't know what kind.
|

replied April 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Good to hear you are not in pain.
Keep a close watch on it for the symptoms I mentioned.

If you can find out what type of mesh they used it would be good to know just in case you develop any problems. You can get this information from the hospital or surgical center, when you ask for the records be specific that you need the mesh info, name brand, type of mesh, lot and product numbers.

Keep me posted..Smile
|

replied April 24th, 2008
would there be swelling going in front of your pelvic bone that is in the same spot as the hernia was because that's what i'm most worried about. You can can tell there is something there and you feel it move back a forth. Thanks for the help.
|

replied April 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
cehobbit2 wrote:
would there be swelling going in front of your pelvic bone that is in the same spot as the hernia was because that's what i'm most worried about. You can can tell there is something there and you feel it move back a forth. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if you are feeling the mesh or if it's something else.. Confused

When do you return to the doctor?

I can completely understand your worries, giving all the problems with the meshes.

Keep me posted.. Smile
|

replied April 25th, 2008
i am going to try to see him monday or tuesday. The clinic does thier surgeries on mondays and fridays. There is definitely a bulge there that looks and fells like my hernia did before surgery. I just don't a big lump in my scrotum but everything else feels the same.
|

replied April 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Good Luck...let us know what your doctor says.

Smile Smile Smile
|

replied June 9th, 2008
This could very well be a seroma. I had a TEP procedure done last wednesday and my surgeons were very helpful.

Seromas normally occur 3-5 days after the surgery. It's a fluid that builds up where the hernia used to be. This will take some weeks to subside. An ultrasound will tell immediately if it is the hernia again.

The swelling in the scrotum is normal aswell. Mine is huge at the moment, making me waddle.

These operations do take a long time to fully right themselves. It's more likely to be a seroma than a reoccurance, at least that's true of the UK hospitals. It will take weeks for the swelling and fluid build-up to subside and a couple of months before you are looking and feeling as you did before (minus a hernia or two).
|

replied June 9th, 2008
One thing to note is that a study done showed that after a laparoscopic repair using mesh, 35% of patients were diagnosed clinically with a seroma formation. But 100% of the patients were shown to all have a seroma using ultrasound.

So really, according to that study, everyone will have a fluid build-up after a repair which will fill the space up again. So this is something not to worry about!
|

replied March 21st, 2009
fluid build up after inguinal hernia repai
after my hernia repair.. i notice a small bulge on my left sac.. where my hernia used to be only smaller. after 4 weeks it grew into this hard encapsulated bulge. i have no pain at all. the doctor said it may be hematoma. they aspirated it once and said it will subside in time. im getting worried.. and its all ive been thinking of all day. the bulge is located above my left testes. and its hard as a rock. still no pain. how long does it take to subside and is there a medication i can take for it?
|
Users who thank joejuan for this post: rbdawg1963 

replied July 26th, 2011
rock hard growth in previous hernia area
Joejuan... i'm on day 5 of my inguinal hernia surgery recovery. I too have the exact thing just above my left testes. No pain, but definitely hard as a rock and a little smaller than my hernia that was previousl there. I'm worried it might not go away and the whole point of having this surgery was to get rid of anything but my testes in my sack. It's not suppose to have this rock hard growth in it. If you find out anything please post back.
|

replied April 24th, 2014
Testicular pain and seroma after laproscopic inguinal hernia re
I have this lump too. It is Seroma, a collection of fluid in the empty space. I went back today because after a little over 2 weeks since laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair I have horrible testicle pain. The surgeon drained it and said it was probably putting pressure on the spermicidal tube or something like that. The lump was gone when I left the docs office. However, the testicular pain is still very bad and a few hours later the lump was back. My question is, do they fill up again right away like that and how can I stop the testicular pain? PLEASE
|