Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia above belly button ?

Today I had a doctor visit for frequent bowel movement. The doctor told me to lie on my back and pressed just above my belly button. He felt a slight dent and said I have hernia. I was puzzled and scared. Then, he proceeded to explain about complications like strangulation and the need to have mesh surgery etc. In all that confusion, I forgot "what" type of hernia he said. Can you tell what type of hernia this is from the area of the stomach (few cms above belly button)?

I'm only 30, and have never had any major illness or operation, so far. I'd like to avoid any invasive procedures as far as possible. I'm not sure if this is something I must do or I can ignore. ???
I don't feel any pain or any discomfort because of this. I went for a different reason: frequent bowel movement if I ate even mildly Spicy foods.

Any idea what could have caused this? I do go to gym and lift weights. And I was doing a lot of abs and core training exercises in the last year. I'm not sure if I should continue gym or just limit myself to non-abs, non-core exercises. Is there any contraption, like abdomen band, I can wear to not aggravate this condition?

I'll really appreciate your responses.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cessnaflyboy
|

replied June 26th, 2010
If it's a hernia,no more lifting until fixed.Hernias can be life threatening if you dont take care of 'em.A simple google search can tell you what kinds of hernias there are.Get a 2nd opinion too.Best of luck on this....
|

replied June 26th, 2010
Don't panic
First don't panic, if you do have a hernia it sounds like you have discovered it in the early stages. You still have a lot of options, and always get second or third opinions.

I also was diagnosed (in Sept 09) with an inguinal hernia. As in your case my bulge is very small, painless, is fully reducible, and totally disappears went I lie down.

The bottom line is that the medical community does not have a consensus on how to deal with hernias, they are still trying to figure out some of the most fundamental questions, and many studies regarding best surgical methods to use result in conflicting conclusions with one another.

After reading the literature, I realized that the medical community has only in the last few years begun to recognize the existence or the impact of postoperative chronic pain. Also after reading blog after blog of folks who were not aware of the risks, and now have chronic pain and are left with no or little options coming from their original surgeon, it casts the whole issue of getting surgery in a different light.

Of the two internal medicine Docs that I have visited, they both warned me about the hernia becoming incarcerated if I did not have the surgery. However the literature is offering just the opposite opinion.

From the concluding paragraph in Fitzgibbons' article "Watchful waiting vs. repair of inguinal hernia in minimally symptomatic men: a randomized clinical trial"
JAMA. 2006; 295 (3):285-92:

"A strategy of watchful waiting is a safe and acceptable option for men with asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic inguinal hernias. Acute hernia incarcerations occur rarely, and patients who develop symptoms have no greater risk of operative complications than those undergoing prophylactic hernia repair."

This article and others on the strategy of watchful waiting has turned me away from having surgery done in the near term (or perhaps ever having it done). Certainly if my health and well being is threatened, then risk/benefit balance would tip towards surgery, but other then an incarcerated hernia, I don�t see the value of a prophylactic repair. The risk chronic pain cannot be underestimated.
|

replied September 26th, 2012
I have had a hernia above my belly button since 1992 it was small than so all my doctors that saw it said if it dont hurt dont worry about it.Now it is bigger and it hurts when i get gas or eat a large meal or blow my nose so a word of warning dont wait too long because it is going to get worse,couldnt be at a worse time for me because now i dont have the medical coverage to fix the problem.Question am i in danger of a intestinal rip?
|

replied October 16th, 2012
It is called a Para-Umbilical hernia

I just had mine repaired. It was small like yours, and as stated above by another poster - you could "watch and wait" - but as pointed out by the other poster, you risk the hernia becoming larger and requiring a bigger surgery to repair it in the future....so I guess you have to decide which is worse or more important to you - If you want to continue to lift, it WILL get bigger, how much bigger and how long it will take, who knows...Just beware that Adult Umbilical Hernia's do NOT spontaneously correct. The hole in the muscle will stay and like any hole - over time will enlarge which inturn, may increase the risk of incarceration.

I chose to repair mine now while it was small so I did not require MESH - as I have read your body can reject it (as well as some other negative issues with it you can google), so my motivation to proceed with removal now when it was small was so I could repair with sutures.

I WILL listen to the MD and not lift or workout for 4 weeks post op (day 6 now) as the reason I am in this mess with the hernia to begin with was resuming workouts too soon after my gallladder removal in Feb, so if you do proceed with surgery - LISTEN to your doc and do not over do it like me....

But I would say at Day 6 I am fine. Walking and increasing my walks by 1/4 every day and taking it easy. Resuming cardio slowly and just talking it easy. Tire easily - but I am still healing - but as far as pain....never took a pain pill. Not even in the recovery room.

Could not stand straight for 3 day (crouched), but day four I was upright and still holding my tummy, day 5 not holding tummy any more and walked a 1/4 mile, day 6 walked a 1/2 mile and feel almost back to normal in my tummy area - just still tire easily.

Thats it - Kind of a piece of cake really??

Good Luck to you!
|

replied April 28th, 2013
I get really bad pain just above my belly button, often after eating. Today when I applied enough pressure, there was a sucking sound and the knot popped back in. Really freaked me out! Because I'm overweight, I thought that knot was just muscle (too hard to be fat). The pain went away, thankfully. Interestingly enough, the knot is just above (1/4 inch?) the lower incision for my gallbladder surgery last year. Back to the dr for me!!
|