Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia above belly button is starting to cause pain, pops out

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Hi. I'm an 18 y.o female(110 lbs., 5"6) and I've had a hernia above my belly button since I was little. It is pretty small, nothing like what I find when I google "umbilical hernia". It's not even marble sized, it's just a small lump. It could be mistaken for an ab muscle, even. It has never caused me any discomfort up until a few weeks ago, which I can only relate to bike-riding for the first time since last summer.

A few weeks ago, I noticed the pressure in my stomach and what feels like a tiny tear. It is moderately painful and uncomfortable, but it feels much better when I apply a little pressure, and I can push it back in and make it invisible until I flex the muscle through laughing, talking, etc. Now though, if I do strain it too much, it will pop out in a larger size. Still not marble-sized, but noticeable and not passable as just an ab muscle.
I also have IBS and I'm currently on my period, but I've had cramps, bloating, and gas problems. I don't know if this is being caused by the hernia, but it's nothing new.

I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so I won't be able to see my doctor for a week. I know that it's not strangulated(no vomiting, no severe pain), but I'm wondering a few things:
1)Is this a umbilical hernia? It doesn't look anything like the pictures I see when I google that.
2)Is there any relief for the discomfort until I can get to my doctor?
3)Any other recommendations or warnings I should know about? I feel like I have to be careful, or it's going to burst or something. I don't quite understand what can happen with a hernia.
Thanks for reading!
Did you find this post helpful?
|