Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

hereditary headaches ?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
My mother had two aneurysms removed from her left frontal lobe in March of 1997, she was 37. It was basically an emergency situation because the Neurologist at Emory in Atlanta said that they could rupture any time due to the size, and she had the surgery 4 days after they were found.
She said she had her first headache at age 12, and over time they got worse, and turned into migraines. It eventually became almost a daily occurence. After the surgery, she made a full recovery. She still has headaches now but only every so often, usually due to stress or heat, and a nap or good night's sleep usually solves the problem.

I've been having them since I was 8. It started out as maybe one a month, never anything serious. Over time, it's gotten worse. Used to, rest fixed it. I moved on to taking OTC meds when that wasn't working and I'd wake up with a headache, and now that doesn't work. Sometimes it gets so bad I have to get stronger things from family that needs them for other reasons, usually Vicodin ES or Percocet, and in the event of a migraine, those don't even work without about 8-10 hours of continuous sleep.

I have them every 3-5 days now, sometimes more often than that. I'm as healthy as any other person my age. I'm 6'1'', 170 pounds, male, and don't have chronic stress. Every headache I've ever had have been in the back, or occipital lobe. I've never had any tests done, but I'm beginning to think I should.

My question is, what are the chances of me inheriting these headaches from my mother? I have an older sister, almost 25, and she only has headaches every few weeks, usually from stress, about like anybody else, so I'm thinking that it could have just skipped her. She and I both have the same father if that would matter. Any ideas from anyone here with more knowledge on this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Any headaches merit investigation with a doctor. Aneurysms may have some familial component but they appear to be random more often than not. Some people are born with aneurysms and some people can develop an aneurysm at a weak point in the vessel, usually at the biforcation of the vessel (a Y junction of a vessel). The biforcation is most susceptible to an aneurysm due to the tendency for it to be a weak point in the vessel. An MRI/MRA will reveal any anomalies. Go see a neurologist and voice your concerns.
|

replied July 1st, 2008
Thanks for your input.
My mother is a 15 year RN and she just keeps saying it's only tension, they starts asking about my problems and doesn't believe there could b a larger underlying cause. My sister who just started work as an RN, she's a little more adventurous (Like any new grad looking to put their teachings into practice) and thinks that it could be a problem because headaches are pretty uncommon in 8-year-olds. I plan to be an MD myself, starting biology school in the fall, but at this point, I don't know enough about it to make an educated decision. Like you said, an MRI should show anything physically wrong. It might be good anyway because neurology and infectious diseases are the two fields I'm considering to specialize in when the time comes. Once, again, thanks for the reply.
|