Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

hereditary facts about leukemia

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
hi my name is sashidhar i need to know about leukemia my grand father had leukemia he passed away and my mother and her elder elder sister both of them suffered from leukemia they both passed away. some times if i think continues i will bleed from my nose. in a month i will bleed around 4 to 6 times in a month, even my sister faces the same problem. i heard that leukemia is hereditary is the bleeding problem is the symptom for leukemia what are my chances for getting leukemia. is bleeding problem from nose leads to leukemia please help with my queries.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
In general, leukemia is not thought to be hereditary, although there have been some families where multiple family members have developed leukemia.

Bleeding from your nose, without any other symptoms, would be an unusual symptom of leukemia. On the other hand, nosebleeds are very common in children, and most of the time, they are not caused by leukemia or other types of cancer. (Picking one's nose is, on the other hand, a common cause of nosebleeds in children.)

If possible, you and your sister should see a doctor to have a proper check-up.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied November 8th, 2010
my grandfather also had leukemia, CLL and my mother got Cll and died 7 years later. Why don't dr's have a blood test like BRAC for breast and ovarian for leukemia so people can find out their risk or chances of getting it????
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.