Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

Hemorrhoids and colon cancer

User Profile
I am a 30 year old female. Since August 2007 I have noticed blood on the toilet paper after a bowel movement
off and on. Since then I have also noticed some mucus off and on. I had a sigmoidoscopy in October of 2009 that revealed internal hemorrhoids. I am now 21 weeks pregnant and am still having these symptoms along with a feeling of fullness near my rectum and a lot of gas. This morning I had a small amount of mucus mixed with a small amount of blood. I am not able to have a colonoscopy while pregnant. I will have to wait till August after the baby
is born. I am very worried that I could have colon cancer and at that time it will be to late. What are the symptoms of an internal hemorrhoid and would those symptoms be similar to colon cancer?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2010
Hemorrhoids Answer A11274
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know what the symptoms are of an internal hemorrhoid on one hand and those of colon cancer on the other hand.

Hemorrhoids are swellings of the anal veins. This condition usually appears due to constipation. It is characterized with bright red blood on the toilet paper when wiping and pain and burning in the anus during and after defecation. The colon cancer is a malignant tumor on the big intestine. It can be located anywhere down the colon. It is characterized with difficulties in passing feces and gas through the colon, which causes individuals to feel bloated. The feces that is discharged from the anus is thin (close to pencil-like diameter) and may or may not be mixed with blood. Both of these conditions are diagnosed with a colonoscopy.

Given the data that you described, it is likely that you are experiencing only hemorrhoids. You may consider seeing your doctor for further advice about treatment options. You may need to have a colonoscopy after you deliver the baby, if there is a history of colon cancer in your family.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hemorrhoids , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.