Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

hemorrhoid surgery pain ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am a 45 yr. old very active Health and P.E. teacher who has been dealing with hemorrhoids flaring up and causing me unbearable pain about 2 to 3 times a year. It puts me down for about 6 days of doing nothing but lying and taking pain meds. I get no initial relief otherwise. My daughter is getting married in a few months and if i would have a flare up like this furing that tim, I would have to say I would have to miss the wedding. So.......... I have opted to do the surgery. Can you give me information on the pain and how to relieve it after surgery. Is it going to be extremely worse than what I am experiencing now? I can't imagine!
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ladogs
|

replied March 24th, 2009
Prepare yourself for 4 weeks of recovery time if you decide to have a hemorrhoidectomy. Hemorrhoid surgery can be very painful, my husband went through it and said it was the most painful thing he'd ever done...prepare yourself for the worst.

Good Luck

HJ
|

replied April 30th, 2009
I just had this surgery less than a week ago. I highly recommend a couple of cans of benzocaine; one brand is Americaine and it can be bought at drugstores or drugstore.com for about $5. I take it to work with me and spray myself down several times a day to numb the pain. Also comes in handy before bowel movements, but i noticed if i spray it on and don't wait for it to numb before going to the bathroom, it tends to burn instead. Best to use it at the first sign of an upcoming BM and not wait til you're grabbing a magazine and the air freshener.

The first BM was pretty bad, but i don't think it could be any worse than what you've already been experiencing. It hurts, it's over, you go on to do something else until the next one, which hurts a little less. The softer they are the less they hurt. I recommend Citrucel for this; tastes like candy and doesn't make you gassy. You can pick this up when buying the benzocaine and some magazines lol! Good luck. It'll suck briefly, then be worth it. I'd do it over again.
|