Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Hematoma from donating blood

I gave blood 1/3/2010 at a blood bank. The tech caused a hematoma on the inside of my arm. It is still painful, numbness in my forearm & my thumb & hand is losing strength.
This has never happened before. The blood bank calls often to see how I am. They want me to see a Neurologist. Has anyone else had these symptoms? What should I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Ellslager,

You should follw the advice of the blood bank and see a neurologist as soon as possible.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|

replied February 1st, 2010
Will make an appointment tomorrow. Went to Blood bank doctor & family doctor. My doctor says may be carpal tunnel, but never has a problem before donating blood.
Also there is a 50 cent piece size lump at the donation site. Normal skin color now.
|

replied March 14th, 2010
I just went through the same thing, I donated blood this morning and I also have a hematoma on the inside of my arm. I've never had a problem before.... all they did was put some ice on it, never said anything else. If the swelling hasn't gone down in the morning I'm going to have the Dr. check it..... don't know if I should be concerned or not...
|

replied March 31st, 2010
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. My husband is still in pain & numbness. The neuro said it make take a year to get the sensations back, if ever.
A couple of weeks ago, he was on a ladder 8-10 ft. up. Holding on with his left hand and tools in the right. The hand with the hematoma let go & he fell, badly injuring his right hand.
Juist got back from the ortho and after a test tomorrow he may have to have surgheryu on the right hand. The left were the hematoma occured, the ortho says it may take up to a year & a half. My husband is a carpenter.
Please keep up on it and see the appropiate doctors.
FBS will not allow him to give blood anymore.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
No strength in forearm since donating blood
I've lost strength in my forearm since I've donated blood back in June of 2010. I cannot lift more than 1/2 a pound without pain.
|