Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

hemangioma or cancer???

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have recently had an MRI and have now been sent for appointment for CT scan as they have found a few hemangiomas (benign tumors) on my spine. There is also another abnormality which is 10mm of which they are concerned. It maybe that it is a larger hemangioma. I am so worried as I have 2 young children. I have no other symptoms other than back and hip pain which is why they did the MRI in the first place. I feel as if my whole world is on pause at the moment. I am having the CT scan tomorrow and there is a possibility I may have the results by the end of the day. They seem to be rushing me through which concerns me as well. I am 38 and have no other health issues.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2010
Spinal hemangiomas are relatively common benign tumors of the spine. They usually do not cause pain, or other symptoms, unless they result in a fracture of the bone, or/and if they grow large enough to put pressure on the spinal cord or spinal nerves.

They are generally observed in patients who have no symptoms. In patients who have symptoms, blockage of the blood vessels within the hemangioma (angio-embolization), radiation therapy, surgery, or a combination of these treatments, may be required.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.