Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Hemangioma and Fordyce's condition

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
Have recently noticed collections of small bumps inside both my upper and lower lip. The bumps are fairly uniform in size: about pinhead or smaller. I can move them around with my tongue or fingers, and there may be either an associated lesion or swelling with them; but I can't really tell if its just paranoia about swelling. Visually I can't see them unless I stretch my lip, at which point there are very clear veins, and small bumps in the skin where the underling bumps are.

The lower lip has maybe 10 or more spread evenly (but not symmetrically) across the whole lip, trending down towards the gum line closer to the centre. The areas below the corners of my lips feel the most swollen/concentrated with these bumps.

The upper lip intensifies in size towards the middle, culminating in two nail head sized groupings that I can move around with my fingers on either side of philtrum (Not sure on terminology).

Any notion as to what it could be? Any insight would be appreciated.

Will.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2008
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A5069

The actual color of the bumps might be very helpful.
If the bumps are red, more like veins, then you might be experiencing hemangioma. Hemangioma is a benign tumor tissue originating from blood vessels. The blood vessels inside do not have strong walls and are susceptible to bleeding.

If the bumps are white, then you might be experiencing Fordyce’s condition. In Fordyce’s condition sebaceous glands are overgrown. The cause is not known. The treatment might include retinoid medications, but the result is not always satisfactory.

Warning!!! Certain retinoid medications can cause serious damage. Consult with a physician about the actual retinoid medication before taking it!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.