Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Helping friend who is bulimic ?

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
My best friend of 7 years, informed me that she has been diagnosed with depression and bulimia. I feel like it's my fault, that if I had caught it before it got this bad it wouldn't have happened. She comes home, eats everything in site and then either throws it up or runs forever. I knew she loved exercising but never saw it as an issue. She says her Bulimia has been triggered by having depression, I am guessing by her rough childhood. She is going to a therapist, but I feel like I am doing nothing to help. I told her I support her, and if she needed anything she could just ask. But I think I should be able to do other things, to help her get over this issue. If anyone has an advice please please help me. I read about people in the past who have had eating disorders and/or depression and most come out tragic, I just don't want anything to happen to my best friend.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Just be there for her
Trust me, you have NO fault in this! There is nothing that you could have done that would have changed anything. And there is nothing that you can say or do now that will stop her. I don't mean to sound negative, but this is a very serious thing that is way deeper than something you can fix. What you can do is love her! Never make her feel like she is strange or weird. Never make her feel bad for what she does. I can almost promise you she feels plenty bad enough. And don't try to tell her how much she is hurting her body. I can guarantee she knows that too. You could ask her if she would like you to help her with accountability. But if she doesn't, then don't push the issue. And don't take it personally if she doesn't want to speak with you about it. Do try to get her to speak to someone, and encourage her to get help. This is just a delicate issue. You want to help her, but you don't want her to shut you out. You sound like a GREAT friend. Just keep being that... and pray. I wish you the best.
|
Users who thank beef1978 for this post: proudmama 

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2009
Supporter
Like the above poster said, just be there for her...I know first hand what your friend is going through, and it is very much so hard to come out and talk to somebody about this. If she decides that she wants to talk to you about everything, just be there and listen...If there is anything else that she wants you to do, she will let you know...it just takes time.
I hope the best for your friend and you too...good luck!

and keep being such an awesome friend;)
|