Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Heating pad makes back pain worse?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
i am having really severe lower right quadrant back pain. i haven't been to the doctor because i have a lot of medical problems so i'm basically sick of doctors cause they never take me seriously or do anything to help. i tried a heating pad and it seems to make my back pain worse?? does anyone kow anything/heard anything like this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
chlorae23,

When using either heat or ice, you should not keep it on for more than about 30 minutes at a time. If it needs to be used for longer than that, it should be put on for 30 minutes, then taken off for 30 minutes, then repeated as necessary.

After about 30 minutes the body habituates to the heat, and no longer keeps an increased blood flow up to the area. As such, the skin in the area can actually become overheated, because the normal blood flow to the area is not enough to take the excess heat away. This is why many commercial heating pads have an automatic shut off after about 30 minutes.

Also, moist heat is actually better than a dry heating pad. A moist heating pad can be made by placing a wet towel in the microwave. Once it is heated, remove it by using tongs, and wrap it into a dry towel. It usually loses its heat in about 20 to 30 minutes, just in time. Just throw it back in the microwave when you need it again.

Good luck.
|

replied May 1st, 2011
i would think the same thing except the heating pad was on low and it was only on for less than 10 minutes. also, the pain wasn't like the burning skin pain if it was hurting my skin, it was like the pain inside my back got worse with heating pads.
|

replied September 26th, 2012
Heat makes my back pain worse
I have the exact same problem. While the heat is comforting to me, when I try to stand up the pain is quite severe. Ice causes me to have deep aching.

In reading your entire post, I felt very sad. I understand what you mean when you say that doctors don't listen to you or take you seriously. However, if this is a long standing problem you should think about moving on to someone who listens to you. Are you aware that medical providers have an ethical duty to take your pain seriously? If you feel you cannot find a provider who listens compassionately, I would advise you to try your state medical board. They can help you to find a good practitioner in your area. Don't suffer. You do not want to allow your back problem to get to the point where there is nothing that can be done for it, or, even worse, you develop secondary problems like depression.
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
cholerae23,

I guess you could be having an idosynctatic reaction to the heat. There are disorder in which patients cannot tolerate or manage heat. But, these usually show up in childhood. It is very odd, that it just started. You should mention it to your physician the next time you see him/her. But, as most doctors will say, if it bothers you then don't do that.

Good luck.
|

replied October 26th, 2012
I live on heating pads and have for a decade now.
I feel comfort from the heating pads but I am concerned that am adding to the inflammation. Also can the heat if constantly used, can it cook your organs?
|

replied November 9th, 2012
heating pad.
I have the same problem with heat. So does my mom. Doctors can make life miserable sometimes. It's very stressful when they don't listen. Stress makes my arthritis flare up. keep your head up.
|

replied June 19th, 2013
what to do when heat hurts worse?
So for the people who have the heat problem whats the solution?
|