Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Heart Rate Danger Zone?

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
Hey Folks,

Is there any level of Cardio that would be deemed unhealthy for a mans heart? This man is in his late 20s and is 70 lbs overweight. In my late teens and early twenties I was able to run very efficiently, about 48-56 miles/week in 6-7 hours. Since then I've endured an injury which confines me to the elliptical. I had a long lapse (3-4 years) of relative inactivity. Since my latest venture to re-attain strong fitness levels, I have noticed that my lung capacity and strength has weakened considerably. This was to be expected. What I hadn't anticipated was that my non-tangible traits that made me a solid runner have remained intact. Determination, drive, will... Whatever you may call it, I still have it. I find myself running the heartbeat monitor up around 195. I'm able to sustain and function quite comfortably other than the anxiety it causes me when I start realizing how many beats that is.

My Question: Is it safe for a late-20s male, 70 lb over weight (or ever for that matter) to exercise at ~200 BPM for an extended period of time 30-60 mins, assuming this person feels good while doing it?

PS My blood pressure is a bit high, 130/90 on occasion.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
In a manner of speaking this is a rather ridiculous question, because this young man obviously understands that he is significantly overweight. Therefore, one appropriate bit of advice is for him to lose weight. Such a positive move would probably result in normal blood pressures and he would obviously be more fit.
I am more interested in levels of exercise achieved than in pushing to high heart rates, and tend to avoid high heart rates for prolonged periods of time like one hour. It is hard to decide what is "safe" without having more detailed information (for example, what was the injury that was sustained?).
Physical fitness includes the ability to perform work, but it also includes body composition (is the person overweight?).

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fitness , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.