Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Heart rate and fitness

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
I'm trying to improve my fitness and have recently invested in a heart rate monitor. I'm a cycle commuter and most days I cycle twice a day for 30-40 minutes at an average speed of 20km/hr (on a slightly hilly route in traffic with a backpack weighing a few kg). I've been doing this for 4 years now and never seem to get any faster or fitter. I get puffed every time I walk up a hill. I thought a heart rate monitor would be a good way to motivate myself to push myself a little harder to improve my fitness, but from the results it seems I am already pushing hard enough. I'm 37 with a resting heart rate of 60/min. My heart rate when I ride sits around 145 when I'm stopping and starting for traffic, 170 when I'm riding with a comfortable puff on an uninterrupted stretch (about half the total distance), and went above 190/min for brief periods uphill. So according to some formulae, I am exercising at 80-110% of my max heart rate for 30-40 mins, 8-10 times per week and have been doing so for years.

I am overweight (BMI 29) and I am working on this separately through diet.
But why am I not fitter than I am? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|