Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Heart cath and risk of Kidney failure

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I recently had a heart attack and required a stent. Had no problems with the procedure and was released from hospital a few days later. About a month and a half later I had routine blood work done and found that I had lost 55% of my kidney function. After comparing my blood work after the heart cath and the blood work done as soon as I was in the emergency room it was found that all the damage came after the procedure. Is there a relation between the two. I have had no problems in the past with any type of kidney disease.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2011
Your age and general condition before the cardiac catheterization and placing of the stent would be factors in understanding your kidney condition. Cardiac catheterization is generally remarkably safe and under ordinary circumstances should not lead to kidney problems.
As I am sure you realize, I am unable to diagnosis your kidney status online. However, it might be worthwhile for you or your family physician to contact the doctor who did the cardiac catheterization and placed the stent at the time you had the heart attack to determine if there was any unusual occurrence.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.