Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Heart attack or anxiety ?

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Long story short, I had a massive anxiety attack 2 months ago after smoking some pot. Had anxiety attacks every day after that. Started to experience chest pains, heart palpitations, racing heart beat, shortness of breathing on a regular basis. Went to the doctor, they set up an echocardiogram and a holter monitor test. Echo came back fine, still waiting for holter results. Went to the ER one night because I was convinced I was having a heart attack. ECG, Chest X-ray, blood tests all came back fine. They diagnosed me with anxiety and gave me some lorazepam for when I have an attack. I'm starting to see a therapist now.

For some reason I am still convinced that I have a heart problem even though all the tests came back negative. I was just lying down watching some TV today, and my heart rate started going (120 BPM at rest what?!) so I took some lorazepam, took a shower, did some breathing and its starting to go back. But I just get so uncomfortable when I am just lying there and I feel my heart racing + pounding for no reason! I feel like I can't deal with it. Why can I not seem to just calm down and convince myself that I'm not dying!? Nothing seems to work.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2009
Experienced User
Smoking weed is causing you to have anxiety. It would best if you stop smoking that crap. It'll only make you feel worse. Did you tell the doctor that your smoking marijuana? If not you should tell them, your not going to get in trouble. If the test are coming up negative then your prob. fine and its just really bad anxiety from smoking. I have panic attacks all the time and it feel like im dying. One thing that I do when I feel one is coming and take a deep breath and tell myself that everything is going to be okay. I call my boyfriend and tell him to tell me everything going to be okay. And sometimes it goes away. I been kinda dealing with them for awhile now. But I never took medication because I heard it makes it worse, but that's me.
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2009
Experienced User
Hi. I ve been like that too. One time i went to the er three times in a week and they told me the same thing it's GAD.. Generalized anxeity aattacks. They gave me medicines but it made me feel like a zombie, i usually have them a night. What i do when i'm starting to have one i write a letter, even if i don't send it to anyone i just rip it up. It makes me feel so much better. Have you tried anything to take your mind off of it. Cuz the more you think about it.. The more your anxeity goes.. at least it does for me. Just try doing something you like to do. For me it's writting letters to people. I hope everything goes good for you
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2009
That is crazy, you have the same exact story as me. And same everything. I try and meditate, but some days I get anxiety other I don't.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Your symptoms are most likely psychosomatic.

Things to consider:

What is the longest that you have gone without smoking pot?

Do you drink, smoke cigarettes?

What do you do for a living?

Do you exercise?

Do you eat healthy?

What other meds are you on?
|

User Profile
Yeah, I've been to my Doctor.

And I haave figured out what is needed to do.

The only thing I have which is hard for me to let go is the pain that I make myself feel sometimes.

I'm still trying to find something that will allow me to not feel it sort of speak
|

replied January 1st, 2010
Same problem
I don't want to sound terrible, but I'm so glad I read this. I had a panic attack a little over a year ago. And ever since then they keep coming back. I'll get them watching tv, or sitting down to eat. I went to the doctors and they said anxiety but I still wasn't conviced I had an EKG done and everything was fine. I thought there was deffinatly something wrong with me, and convinced the doctors were missing something. It's like I get a panic attack over being afraid to get one. And when I do I feel like I have to be in the hospital. All in all though I really think it's just how our body reacts to things. Some people are different and get them only when they are nervous, and some just get them out of the blue.
|

replied January 5th, 2010
I know this i have smoked pot that had been laced with other drugs to make you get more high, and you nun the wiser! that could have been the route cause all together. I never self medicate with out a doctors approval even then i am wary call me weird but we live in a society that thrives of of sedatives and feel good wonder pill's. do you really wanna play chance at your life with that stuff? I for one do not regardless of the feel better's! I don't know your situation so i am not judging only laying out my TWO CENTS before you. be careful especially with self medication.
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Anxiety does that to you. Believe me I know. The first time I got an anxiety attack was a couple of minutes after snorting a couple of lines of meth. Messed me up for life really because now I have anxiety attacks. There was one day that I got a really bad attack to the point where I seriously thought I was dying and called all my friends and even got my parents to get out of work to tell them that I love them. I just got what you explained on the second paragraph happen to me a couple of minutes ago. I was asleep on the couch with my boyfriend and in my sleep I started feeling my heart rate raise. I woke up and my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. The best thing you can do is not think about what you are feeling.

When have an anxiety attack people tend to focus on what they are feeling (I do so as well sometimes) and doing that makes you feel worst that you really do. It also makes the anxiety attack get worst. The moment you feel an anxiety attack coming find something that will distract you completely and before you know it it will all be over. Also what helps me is telling myself that nobody has died from an anxiety attack. So try to tell yourself that and also tell yourself that in 5 to 30 minutes it will all be over soon because that is how long most anxiety attack last. Hope this helped.
|

replied January 10th, 2010
wow i feel anxious just thinking about smoking or snorting drugs. Truth is, drugs or no drugs, these are perfect symptoms of anxiety/panic disorder or GAD. Its fair to say that you (soup6), like i feel uncomfortable ALL day almost EVERY day, true? Theres always somthing. and when you do come across a day(like today for me) when you feel really good, and then you realise that you feel really good, your start thinking why do i feel really good, hmm i wonder what i did to forget and relax for a bit, oh how i hate feeling like i cant breath, or that my heart is constantly racing and then POW you start feeling your heart belting out in your chest, you feel tight and breathless, maybe light headed also. Our minds play some crazy games with us, they say that if you think about something so much, then eventually it becomes you. thats why any therapist will tell you that you need to find a distraction. I find if im lying about and have nothing to do or think of thats when im at my worst, my brain starts menafesting on what my body is doing. try this, one a calm day, imagine you have pain somewhere, think about it constantly, and you will see the power of the mind, eventally you will get pain in that area because you've been thinking about it so much.

the trick is distraction, when i feel my anxiety getting hold ill literally tell myself to get up and distract myself, or go look at urself in the mirror and tell urself to pull it together, its your brain, get a hold. whilst most times this doesnt work its a good habbit to get into, you start training yourself to take immediate action over yourself.

I know its hard, but there are ALOT of people in your boat.

Smile
|

replied October 19th, 2010
Ganja farmer...
19Yearold!

I'm a 27yr old female and the same thing happened to me!!!! I drink very rarely I never smoke cigarettes but I do smoke a joint regularly. One night I smoked a joint, I was lying down and got up and felt like I was dizzy, short of breathe and my heart was pounding fast in my chest. I freaked myself out thought I was having a heart attack and then threw up. I lied down after and tried to calm myself down and got very tired. I then fell asleep!( my husband was freaking out!). The next day I felt jittery and worried-went to my doctor told him everything-they sent me for blood tests and I got the echocardiogram, the holster monitor done and a stress test. Every was fine! My iron came back a little low (no red meat). He gave me iron pills. The day of my attack I didn't eat too well, I don't think I was eating well around that time...not on purpose just running around each day. Now when I eat well and take care of myself I don't get the feeling I'm dying of a heart attack. I still smoke erb, but now I eat better and excercise better..
And I understand I need to smoke more sess vs. Hydro, which is laced with different things sometimes...know your dealer.
You smoke and feel paranoid and freak yourself out..which then gets your heart going more and more and it pounds! Then because your listening to your heart you forget to breath! And freak yourself out more!!! Then bam! You think heart attack! It's all something you can control through meditation and focusing yourself! Stop taking the drugs they gave you and stop believing you are suffering from anxiety attacks!! After you smoke do smoke stay occupied! Don't let your mind race!! Hope my episode helped!
|

replied February 20th, 2013
It sounds as if alot of us have the same kinda problems and symptoms.....I recently stopped smoking cigarettes and weed. I had gotten a couple of bad attacks and figured it was time to change...also began excersizing more and eating better but now I have actually gotten more attacks than before. Doctor said I am going through withdrawals..... I did smoke every day quite a few times a day for about 16 or 17 years.....he told me that I was seeing the world in a different view. I am tired of these panic attacks and I know it's mind over matter......some days feel great and others it just pops out of the blue. I've quit now for a little over 2 weeks now and I know it's getting better just gotta keep pushing through.....but mind us super powerful on me simetimes
|