Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Hearing voices

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I’m a 19 year old female and have Obsessive-Compulsive disorder (although this has never been diagnosed, I’ve suffered with this since the age of three and is something my family and I have always accepted) and am also prone to anxiety attacks and bouts of severe depression. Lately, after drinking excessive amounts of alcohol (I rarely drink alcohol, I occasionally do binge drink in social situations though) or vomiting for any other reason, I “hear voices” in my head. There can be just the one voice or many voices either talking to me or each other, although they are always well meaning and comfort me whilst I am vomiting or otherwise distressed. I am aware that these voices aren’t real and they are not auditory, more like an inner-monologue that I am not consciously controlling. Recently though, I became another person entirely (whilst being aware of my true identity) and was being lectured by this persons mother. These aren’t people I know or knew. When this happens I become extremely confused and disorientated, and have very little control of what I say or do. It is like being in a dream and being aware that it is a dream but not being able to wake up, instead having to watch myself. It usually lasts approximately for an hour or two hours, three at the most, however it variably goes through strong parts where I am completely taken over and weak parts where I can block the thoughts out and function properly throughout this time.
I know that hearing voices is a sign of Schizophrenia, and that it is possible to suffer with both Obsessive-Compulsive disorder and Schizophrenia at the same time, although I have always believed that Schizophrenics lost touch with reality, whereas I am aware of reality, although I have little or no control over my thoughts or actions when this happens (I do not become a danger to others or wish to cause anyone harm, although am potentially a danger to myself by not being in full control of mind or body), also this only seems to happen whilst vomiting or after drinking alcohol (this happens about 8-10 hours after drinking so I am therefore always sober by the time this kicks in) and also sometimes after being suddenly woken up.
Is this normal or is it a symptom of Schizophrenia or any other mental disorder, and also are these hallucinations or delusions or confused thinking? I would be very grateful for anyones opinion.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Some people have a predisposition towards psychiatric disorders. Alcohol and drugs can trigger a psychotic event or bring out psychiatric symptoms. Whether this is schizohrenia or not I am not able to tell you. I certainly would go see a psychiatrist and get an evaluation done. What you are experiencing is not usual or normal. Based on what you have described it does sound like you may be experiencing some auditory hallucinations. Auditory hallucinations are not exclusive to schizophrenia. Bipolar disorder can, also, cause auditory hallucinations. Whatever you are experiencing merits further investigation with a psychiatrist.
|
Users who thank antigone for this post: Chickenxx 

replied May 12th, 2008
Thanks I agree I should definetly go see a pyschiatrist about this. I've had some trouble with my mind and daily functioning in general for quite a while now and now these symptoms have presented themselves. I wasn't sure if it was psychosis or just a common side effect of alcohol. Anyway thank you for your help
|

replied May 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome. I hope you will pursue medical assistance. All the best.
|