Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

healthiest way to smoke

User Profile
I am a smoker, and am trying to quit (obviously, or I wouldn't be here). I don't want to quit cold turkey until I've tried weaning myself. In the meantime I want to try and be as healthy as is humanly possible. Is there any way to smoke in a more healthy manner? Currently I try to smoke outdoors and get as much fresh air as possible along with my cigarette smoke. I breathe fresh air deeply and repeatedly after smoking (in hopes of clearing my lungs?). Also, I wash out my mouth thoroughly with water after each cigarette. (in hopes of preventing mouth cancer?).

I really am worried about myself during this process and I want to keep myself as safe as possible.

My weaning has, I think, been working by the way. When I started the process I was smoking 5-6 cigarettes a day and now I'm down to 2-3 with relatively little discomfort.

Also, I don't want to use nicotine gum or the patch as I've heard that in the short term they can be worse for you (causing gingevitis and skin conditions respectively). As I've only been smoking for 2 years and I'm not a pack a day kinda smoker, I'd rather try and just smoke less.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 5th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
there is no healthy way to smoke period..and your tricks such as smoking outside have little to no benefits..except for keeping your house smoke free..you're just going to have to cut down like youre trying to do...have you looked into the electronic cigarrets?
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2009
None
There is NO such thing as a healthy way to smoke. There are three main components inside of a cigarette that cause the most damage: Nicotine, Tar and carbon monoxide.

As far as trying to wash your mouth out, that doesn't really do much. You can still get cancer, heart disease, lung disease, etc.
this is where hope comes in. Your wanting to quit, and trying is great. Now you just have to take small steps to be smoke free and you can be. Start by making a list of reasons you need to/should/want to quit.

Nicotine Gum, Patch, Inhaler, Spray, and Lozenges are all good things to help (if they are right for you. Make sure of that first by talking to your doctor). To be honest, I think gingivitis is better than illness or death. It can be treated. Make sure you have loved ones that know you're trying to quit, build a support system. Also keep busy, make sure your hands are busy.

Do you have any triggers? The things that tempt you. Stay away them like other smokers. Meditate, work on slow breathing when you're stressed out maybe play some music you enjoy.
If you get an urge, change your scenery try going outside. Here are some links I found for you to check out:
http://www.naquitline.org/index.asp?dbsect ion=map&dbid=1

http://www.smokefree.gov/quit-smoking/reso urces.html

http://whyquit.com/

http://quitsmoking.about.com/

Also, if you can find a support group that would help you out.

Best of luck,
Kat
|
Users who thank MissThirteen for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
try reading a book by Alan Carr "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" my hubby who was a pack a day smoker stopped one day after finishing this book with no ill affects. Its all in your mind. At the end of the book you dont need to smoke. Give it a try. It has worked for everyone I have ever talked to
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Supporter
I've been quit since January 28th 1991. I smoked for almost 34 years. Hardest thing I ever did but I did it. I went through a wellness program that taught me how. Simple really, you set a certain date...say two weeks from today. You've already limited yourself to 2-3 cigarettes a day, in 3 days, take it down to 2 cigs. You get to decide on the time you can smoke them. Its more of a who has control! On the date set, you are finished.....mind over matter! I was not about to let cigarettes control me anymore. No one thinks about what effect smoking has on your teeth, and makes your gums receed. How bad you smell, your clothes smell, your skin and eyesight also take a toll from smoking. I've learned a great deal, but I have never ever wanted another one! Put a runner band around your wrist and if you get an urge, pop the crap out of it. I would go outside and walk.....I did also crochet and needle point to have something to do with my hands. It takes nicotine @30 days to get out of your system, so that you should not be having cravings. I agree with the others on their tips and also say....throw the nasty things out. I did not ever smoke around my kids, I always went outside. I feel sorry for little children whose parents smoke around them. I feel it should be a law no smoking around children. Good luck, if you need reassurance feel free to pm anytime! I am proud for you!
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
that is a cute baby shinsukato!
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Thank you everybody for the kind words, but please do not misunderstand. I do not, at this point, feel I need help with quitting. I think I can handle that. What I want is a way to keep myself low risk in the meantime. I imagine this is a fairly technical, medical question.

Let me reiterate one more time. I KNOW that there is no 'healthy' way to smoke. However, I am fairly certain that there is a "health-ier" way than what most people do. Electronic cigarettes are a good example, but for various reasons are not an option for me.

When I see that there has been a reply I get excited, so please do NOT reply unless you are able to give me advice on keeping my risk WHILE SMOKING low.

Again, please don't think I'm ungrateful.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
You can use a filter which filters out some of the bad stuff that are in cigerettes out so that you aren't taking it in. That is the only better way to smoke as far as I know. (My dad smokes and he uses filters and we were told at school that the filters, filters everything bad out) I hope this answer helps.
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
i guess the only other thing you could do is have a great diet. Eat healthy things get at least 80-100 mg of protein a day. The protein will help baby with muschle mass and the fat along his brain. Which both can be reduced by smoking. Drink plenty of water and watch your blood pressure. Im not sure if smoking lowers or higher your BP, but I do know it affects it so be watchful of that. I just know that a healthy diet can do wonders for your baby and yourself. I gained about 40 pounds on this diet but it came off so fast. Mainly because it was healthy fat.

I just want to say that I didnt support smoking cig during my pregnany, but my friend Sandy has 3 children. She smoked heavily the whole time. They are all fine. So the little smoking you are doing now shouldnt have a huge impact. Its just really important that you stop eventually. I hope this post helped a little more.
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2009
Fairy Godmother wrote:
Put a runner band around your wrist and if you get an urge, pop the crap out of it.

That's actually not a good idea. If you pop it too much or too hard, it becomes self injury and can cause welts, bruises, and marks.

Quote:
When I see that there has been a reply I get excited, so please do NOT reply unless you are able to give me advice on keeping my risk WHILE SMOKING low.

You could try a filter, as mentioned but it's still, in no way, healthy or is it eliminating your risk of illnesses.
|

replied May 25th, 2009
Harvard University studies exposed that smoking weed avoids lung cancer. But anyway you could utilize cellulose papers (the clear ones) which are prepared from the similar material that plant cell walls are prepared from, so it’s parallel to smoking with no paper. They also have no flavor and are very pleasurable.

Regards.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
Re: healthiest way to smoke
Smoking itself is not a good practice, and very bad to health. It is like killing urself with a slow poison.
|

replied March 25th, 2010
It is simple. To smoke cigarettes in healthiest way you may try smoking electronic cigarettes. It will not cause any health disorders and you can have a safe fagging.
|
Tags: skin
Quick Reply