Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Health Insurance for chronic conditions

I am a 35 year old female in the UK and I've suffered from type 1 diabetes my whole life. I am looking into getting a health insurance policy, and I would like to be treated in a private hospital if I ever suffer a serious hypo. Anyone know of any policies that cover chronic conditions?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Green_Girl
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2012
Hi Jamie, to be honest it's more than likely that you wont be covered for diabetes 1) because it is a pre-existing condition and 2) because it is chronic and cant be cured- I have health insurance and I am not able to be covered for my asthma or conditions relating to it for those exact reasons. So if you are looking for health insurance just for your diabetes, it probably wont be worth it Sad
|

replied January 31st, 2012
Green_Girl wrote:
Hi Jamie, to be honest it's more than likely that you wont be covered for diabetes 1) because it is a pre-existing condition and 2) because it is chronic and cant be cured- I have health insurance and I am not able to be covered for my asthma or conditions relating to it for those exact reasons. So if you are looking for health insurance just for your diabetes, it probably wont be worth it Sad

Thanks Green_Girl i thought that would probably be the case. who are you insured with? would you recommend them? even if I can't be covered for diabetes I think I'd like to get insurance anyway, because I have had some pretty bad experiences in the NHS.
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2012
Jamie, if you are still interested, first look to get an idea of the market- has some good ways of finding a cheap policy. Then, I would use a comparison website. Or you could go direct to the insurers- big names are Bupa, Aviva, PruHealth and AXA PPP.

I currently have health insurance with Aviva but I only got it a few years ago, after my husband had trouble with waiting lists on the NHS. My premiums are quite low, because I chose Aviva's 'Speedy Diagnosis' option'- this covers me for private tests and scans but I actually get treated on the NHS. I'm not sure whether this will be suitable for you though if its aftercare you are looking for?

If you can get health insurance with work (or your partner's work?) I would definately recommend it- a massive perk! Alternatively, you could get a cash plan- this gives you money towards certain procedures and you don't have to pay as much each month.

I hope this helps Smile
|