Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Health and bad teeth ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello I am 37 yrs.old and I never had a cavity until i got pregnant with my first son 14 yrs. ago. I now have 2 boys and for the last 3 yrs. my teeth have really gotten bad. I won't even smile anymore. I had 8 teeth pulled about 5 yrs. ago but lost my dental insurance before I could get the rest of my dental work done. I have 5 left on one side of my mouth that are just partial teeth & black, my front 4 on top have rotted half off & I have abbcess sometimes which is no big deal to me I have learned how to deal with them. I have my bottom 4 teeth in front are still in good shape I think. I won't kiss my husband of 15 yrs. and would like to go to work since my youngest son started school this year but I can't look for a job with my teeth the way they are or feeling the way I do. My question is for the last year and a half I have just not felt good at all but the last couple of months I have just been getting worse I hurt all over different places at different times just really fatigued and I am really thinking that my teeth are the root of all my not feeling good problems. Naseua is an everyday thing at one time or another during the day. Can having rotten teeth especially almost all of them cause other medical problems in the body? If so what does it cause?
Any input please is greatly appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BDteach59
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2009
Please help,we need an answer
I really feel for you Rolling Eyes I know exactly what you are talking about because I have the same feeling! I really hope somebody can give us an answer because if it would make me feel healthier I would definately get my rotten teeth pulled as I have wanted to for a long time now because they are GROSS!sO IF i HAD ANOTHER REASON i WOULD DO WHATEVER i HAD TO TO GET IT DONE(even stop paying my other bills for a while)So please if you get an anmswer for this could you let me know? thank-you very much and I really do hope you feel better soon sunny
|

replied May 31st, 2009
Experienced User
There are documented health effects to poor oral care. One of the most important correlations is between oral infections and heart disease. Poor oral health can also lead to oral cancer as well. It is not just an issue of appearance but of health. Infections can become systemic as well and lead to feeling bed elsewhere in the body. Another thing I notice in your post is that it is affecting your relationships, self-confidence, and vocational opportunities. All that can affect mental health as well. (not a doctor/dentist)
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Agreed. Dental infections can become really serious. besides the things mentioned above, the infection can spread to the surrounding tissue (like your cheeks), to your lungs, and to your brain. I know dental work is expensive, but the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets: i.e. a root canal is more expensive than a crown.
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Can bad teeth effect your health?
Had a back tooth that broke off in my mouth earlier this week and it has cause inflammation to my gums. It is painless. Can bad teeth and bleeding gums cause health problems.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
Yes indeed they can. Oral care is directly linked to the health of our bodies. Gums typically bleed because gums are not as healthy as they should be. It usually is the first sign of Gingivitas in it's earliest stages. What you should be doing to reverse this is brush twice a day and floss as well. Brushing alone does not get rid of food caught between and below the gumline which will play host to many dental problems if not removed. Also try a non alchol based mouth wash to use after flossing and brushing. Brush twice a day for 3mins (gently so not to rub the gums to harshly) and floss and you should slowly start to see improvement with the bleeding in your gums...

See a dentist twice a year for a good cleaning and this routine of your home care and the Dentist cleaning should keep your teeth and gums healthy.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Bad teeth & bleeding gums are a symptom of a health problem, I suspect that you are suffering from nutritional deficiencies which is hard because no one want's to treat that, there is no specific pill that they can give you & slap you on the rear & tell you "off you go". so unless you get a GOOD orthomolecular nutritionist to help you they will probably just fix your teeth & tell you not to eat too many sweets. Other wise your gonna have to research it yourself, which is what i've been doing for the last two & 1/2 yrs for my myriad of health problems because i got fed up with all the symptom cover ups & lack of treating the cause. Now i'm making head way but it doesn't happen quickly.
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Are you on any medications, like blood thinners? Hormonal changes during pregnancy could also cause this.

Bleeding gums can also be due to gum disease or another infection. You need to get your tooth fixed and ask your dentist about the gums. If he just tells you to brush better without any explanation, go to your regular doctor for a medical work-up to rule out infections and other causes.

If they find nothing, then it's probably the nutritional deficiency. Scurvey (vitamin c deficiency) can cause bleeding gums, but it's very rare in modern society. However, if you have a really horrible diet, it isn't impossible. Vitamin K deficiency is also a possibility, but is extremely rare because the bacteria in your intestines produces it. If you have trouble absorbing the vitamin K from your intestines, that could cause it. A long treatment with antibiotics could as well, since the bacteria could be killed and take a while to regrow.

Bottom line: go to the dentist, then if he doesn't know why your gums are bleeding, go to your doctor.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
help!!
i have really bad teeth andmay have to hve them all out.
most of the time i feel like i'm going mad that there si somthing wroong with my brain my head. ive lost most of my friends becuase i stopped going out becuase there is always somthing wrong with me. can that be because i have bad teeth?? please help.
|

replied December 13th, 2009
can rotten teeth cause stomach problems and vomiting and labored breathing
|

replied January 6th, 2010
I'm 31 getting dentures cause of health issues and am excited!
I have had rotten teeth since i had my daughter in 2000. They just fall out while I eat or if i am just sitting watching tv with my hubby. I finally have decided with long thinking process and talking to lots of people, friends, family and dentist, I am having them all taken out the process starts Jan19 of this year! I am scared not to have my own teeth but can't wait for the perfect smile again, I am only 31. I was told i get to pick the shape of the teeth that i like in my mouth and even how white I want them. I will be picking a natural color for my age,don't wanting them to look fake. I was told I will have a thinner face due to getting rid of infection, at first I thought they were full of it but since i have started the meds I am already seeing the difference. I had no idea!! I was told my thinning hair will be nice and thick again cause all the BAD will be out of my body, and I will get to lose my weight cause I will be able to eat healthy foods again with out all my teeth falling out! I have been eating soft foods for like 5 or more years now. So i am happy about that over all I will be healthy and i know i won't be so tired all the time. I had a few infected teeth pulled a few years back and after the were gone I had a lot more energy my chest pains went away, and the dizzy spells I had were gone. So i'm looking forward to getting "yes my dentures" to have a healthy smile again i won't have to cover my face while talking to people like I have been doing for the last 9 years!!
|
Users who thank sarah31marie for this post: TiffanyC 

replied September 6th, 2012
I have just had all my top teeth out and my bottoms one fixed under general anesthetic...it took me 15 years to be dragged there.....since i came out of the hospital....same day...i have lost 2 kilos....not through not eating...i have my sense of smell and taste back...not that i knew they were gone....and have not had a migraine since i woke up
|