Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Healing time of humerus fracture ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I am a 46yo female who fell on 8-19-09 and was diagnosed with a R impacted, comminuted humerus fracture. Today, 8-31-09 I went in for a follow-up visit. The orthopedist showed me the xrays as compared to the xrays taken the date of my fall. The xrays look identical. I am very surprised that there isn't some indication of healing, my Doctor didn't seemed concerned. How long is a normal range of time to see that there is some healing. I am concerned that it won't heal, what are your thoughts? Fortunately the fx has not shown any signs of displacement. I am a non-smoker. Thank you in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sunshine6036
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
I broke my right humerous bone last tuesday and`would like the same answer. Going off a few posts I have found around 6-12 weeks
|

replied September 4th, 2009
I wonder why we haven't received a reply from a Doctor, afterall we signed up for "Ask a Doctor". I am sorry that you suffered the same injury, painful, isn't it? Where was your fracture? mid, proximal elbow?
|

replied October 16th, 2009
Hi i broke my humerus in July and it took 12 weeks to heal.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2011
Experienced User
I had a high impact clean transverse fracture of my right humerus on June 18 2011. After 2 appointments with a surgeon, he feels my arm will heal without surgery. I don't see much improvement in the xrays, but he's happy that the bones line up. He's not at all concerned about the gap between the two ends.
|

replied July 10th, 2011
I broke my humerus in feb 2011 in an atv accident . They said it was a spiral fracture and on my xrays my bone is almost broke completely in half . I had a rod put in from shoulder to elbow 2 days after i broke it . He said he didnt think a cast would hold the bone together because the way it broke and how badly it was broken . I took about 7 or 8 weeks before my bone actually started going back together on the xrays i also had to go through weeks of physical therapy for my arm . Can i ask how you broke your arm .
|

replied July 21st, 2011
to: green1pen
I have a fracture somewhat like yours and will have surgery in August. This is the 2nd surgery for this arm because the first was not successful. I did change doctors. Are you able to use the arm now at all and is it painful?
|

replied July 19th, 2011
Broken rt humerus
I broke my rt humerus in a fall June 2010. I had surgery and they placed a plate with several screws. After 7 mos it started falling apart and the doctor had to go back in and put a larger plate with more screws and a bone graft. That was Jan 2011 and as of today July 2011 it is still not healing. What else can be done, because I am afraid this will always be broken. I am 50 years old female.
|

replied November 18th, 2011
Hi, I suffered displaced proximal fracture of humerus after a fall on 2nd Oct, 2011. I'm 56 year-old male in good health and very fit. I wore wrist sling (collar and cuff) for 3 weeks, then, folowing satisfactory X-ray at week 2 which showed signs of callus formation, was told I could come out of the sling if I felt like it, which I did. Never put the sling back on after that.

Was advised by PT to start doing various exercises out of the sling, some of which were qute painful, but nothing too bad. Am now nearing end of week 6, and ROM is around 80-85%, and improving by the day. Still a lot of strength to regain, though.

So, after 6 weeks I can go about my daily life much as normal now. Obviously things like sporting activities & heavy lifting are a fair way off, although I have managed to get out on my bicycle briefly a couple of times. Certain arm & shoulder positions still cause pain, so I concentrate on those positions when I'm exercising.

So far I'm pleased with progress & hope my tale gives encouragement to others.
|

replied November 17th, 2013
I had the same fracture on oct 26th - three weeks ago. I am still in a sling and still find certain arm positions very painful - of course it is when I am not thinking about it when I do these - walking my dog etc. I really hope that I have good x-ray results on November 27th (one full month from injury)so I can start PT. I keep reminding myself this is temporary - but also being a cancer survivor and having had chemo I am concerned that the bone growth might be significantly slower. I am in good physical shape - was doing daily light weight training prior to this injury. if I can feel "close to normal" at the end of week 6 I will be thrilled.
|

replied January 26th, 2012
I broke my humerous into 3 last March and it is still not healed, I am going crazy as it is so painful. There has been no change in any xrays, though I am in alot less pain than I was! Finally seeing consultant next week with a view to operate. I was 5 months without driving and now have to drive an automatic!
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
quadbikechicken,

If a fracture has not healed in almost a year, it needs to be fixed surgically. The fibrous tissue in the fracture site needs to be removed, the bones fixed with hardware, and the fracture site bone grafted. This may provide enough stability and osteogenic material to jump start the healing.

By 10 months, humerus fractures should have been solidly healed. Most surgeons would usually do something around the 4 to 6 months mark, as that is the time when a nonunion would be diagnosed.

It is not an emergent surgery, as long as you can function and have good elbow and shoulder motion. But, with the bone not being healed, it can go on to a pseudarthrosis and continued pain.

Good luck with your upcoming appointment. Wishing you the best.
|

replied June 3rd, 2013
Comminuted mid humerus fracture- Gun shot wound.
Hi My name is "J" for safety reasons, I'm 23 years old. I recently suffered a comminuted humerus fracture due to a gun shot from a 9mm pistol. The bullet went through and through and snapped my arm in half, i had surgery for 4 hours they put a titanium plate in my arm from a little below my shoulder to my elbow. My surgeon didn't think id be able to use my arm from my elbow down, including my fingers..yet i can use them all perfectly well (Thank GOD), my only concern now is how well will it heal. I've read several articles on this type of injury including the ones above mines, and i've come to conclusion that i should wait 6 months to a year for a complete solid healing..Would you nice folks agree and say thats fair for my body? I have copies of my x-rays if that helps ou nice folks better understand the severity of my fracture. The fracture is literally right around the middle of my humerus, I dont smoke cigarettes, i rarely drink (very lightly. Before my injury i constantly worked out or did some sort of physical activity like basketball, football, etc. So i was in pretty good shape, My weight before the gunshots was around 155lbs now im at 135lbs so i lost about 20lbs. I'm taking vitamin d & calcium tablets everyday, along with healthy eating and ill soon be taking isopure protein with zero carbs. Never had i broken a bone, and ive had a pretty physical life, ive played about every sport in my life from skateboarding to soccer to highschool football. Ive always been a big fan of milk so i think that has played a major role in my bone health...yet this bullet snapped my arm in two..I would just like to know if any of you have experience and injury similar to mines, and have had a happy healthy recovery? and were you ever able to lift weights again or use it how you normally would've before? Thanks for your time, concern, and help. I really appreciate the feedback...i pray that we all make a full recovery..oh and by the way sorry for writing so much.
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Jay,

It really depends how much bone you have left that is in contact. If you have signficant bone fragments touching each other, and they have soft tissue attachments (they are viable, with a good blood supply), there is no reason that the bone will not heal.

Often the biggest problem with gun shot wounds is that the bone fragments are ripped away from any soft tissue attachment. This in effect kills the bone (bone is a living tissue). While the body will often eventually incorportate dead pieces of bone (the way it does with bone grafts), it can take a while longer to do so.

Not smoking is probably the best thing you can do for bone healing. Then, a proper diet, high in protein, calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium. After that, it is up to mother nature.

Usually, again, as long on you have bone touching in the area of the fracture, it will heal. During the healing process, it is important to maintain elbow, wrist, and finger range of motion. But, you do not want to place a lot of bending moments (stress) on the plate. It is strong enough to hold the fragments in place, but it is not designed to take the place of your natural humerus. If you do a lot of activity, placing a lot of stress (repeated small stresses too) across your plate, you could break the plate or pull out the screws. It is always a race to see what happens first: the bone healing or the internal fixation failing. (Think of a paper clip that is bent back and forth, over and over, it will eventually break. So will your hardware.)

Good luck. Wishing you the best.
|

replied June 4th, 2013
Gaelic,
Thank you so much you're very kind. I appreciate the quick response. Im going to stop the medicinal marijuana then for sure. Everything else im doing pretty good with i would say, as far as vitamins and diet. Ill also make sure to wear my sling all the time. My fingers are in pretty good shape theyre what im typing with.Smile
Again i want to say Thank You for all the information and good wishes. God bless you.
|

replied June 30th, 2013
Hey guys, I broke my humerus right above my elbow 3 months ago. I was put in a sling, then brace and I'm all good now. I got full movement with no pain, got a x-ray last month and doc says its healing fine. There is a bump on my bicep(fractured area)that's been there from day one and its still there with no change in size or form. Can anyone tell me if that's normal?? I really want to get back into training but worried about the bump. Thanks in advance
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Ben,

I answered you question in the private message section. You can check there.

Good luck.
|

replied July 27th, 2013
comminuted humerus fracture 1/3 medium
I have the same problem like benbenito. Can you explain to me what is that?
|

replied November 29th, 2013
broken bone
I BROKE MY HUMEROUS 16th nov aka 2 weeks ago, coming off a horse. pain less but still bad in some positions
|

replied January 8th, 2014
proximal humerus fracture
hi there, my son has a proximal humerus fracture! he broke it 4 weeks ago! recent xrays show that the ball has rotated 45 degrees and the humerus bone has has attached itself on top of the ball! the surgeons have all said it is best to leave it to let nature take its course but im really not convinced! I have spoken to many orthapedic surgeons about this and they are all saying the sam, surely he will heal disfigured as you can see his bone sticking out of his shoulder! is it normal procedure to let a child heal naturally with a break this old and bad??
|

replied January 8th, 2014
well 7 weeks now bored and fed up even though less pain bones still move
|

replied January 24th, 2014
broken humerous
hi i broke my humerous right at the top of my shoulder twelve days ago i had a fall with my arm outstetched and was then draqgged with the rope i was holding by a horse...horrid....i am having lots of pain even with meds... and worry about how long before i have no pain and if it will heal and how long before i can do sports again..and does my arm have to be totall immobile
|

ouch!!!!

Hi I had pain up to 3-4 week and gradually easing by 3rd week
|

update
well i am now on the 10th week, bone still moving dr said if does not heal by 14th feb i will have to have surgery.

cast only at night, having osteo w0orking on it and doing my own physio in the private hotel pool
|

replied January 31st, 2014
Here is my track record on pain and healing with a broken bone.
Hi Ya'll
I'm 71, on Dec 4 I was hanging Christmas lights on my house, up around 8 feet, and I fell off the ladder onto a concrete walkway, broke my Humorous bone in two half way down. Pain, (i'm talking serious ass os pain) for 6 weeks. Then one morning I woke up and the pain was bearable. So now been 8 weeks and a few days, I'm able to type and dress myself. Very little pain now, on the old scale it's about a 2. I expect at the 12 week mark I will be fine. Maybe 9 months to one year before I am back in the saddle. I do a lot of sports such as swimming, scuba diving, hiking, exercise, bike riding. I lost about 15 pounds which I can see is mostly muscle, I really can't complain though, a lot of service members come back in far worse shape then a broken bone. We just have to suck it up, say a prayer, and move on.
|

replied January 31st, 2014
still not right
WELL ON 11TH WEEK STILL NOT RIGHT not fair others are healing i am not bone still moving Sad
|

replied March 3rd, 2014
spiral fracture not healing
7 1/2 wks for me in collar/cuff but not joined about to try a splint tomorrow to stabalise the break then give it 4 weeks & see then ...

Is there a chance of joining without surgery?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply