Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Healing time for distal fracture of fibula

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hi, I am 41 and suffered a distal fracture to my fibula back on 4/6/13 walking my dog.
A plate was put in using 6 screws and one to grab a chip from my Tibia.
I am now 6 weeks post surgery and have been in a fiberglass cast. I have been on crutches for
the past six weeks and return to my Dr. Next week. How much longer am I
going to be out of work? I'm a cable technician and work on ladders and also
climb poles using spikes. I am hoping to be back to work within 4-6 weeks.
Do you think this is a reasonable expectation?
Thank you in advance for your comments.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Cabletech.

Sorry about your injury.

It all depends upon whether or not your fracture has united at your next visit. If it is healed, then you can probably get out of the cast and start on therapy.

Hopefully, you have been doing upper body weight lifting (besides just using the crutches), maybe doing some upper body cycling for aerobic conditioning, and the like, so you have not gotten completely out of shape.

You will have to regain your ankle motion, as well as all of the muscle bulk/strength that you have lost being in the cast and on crutches. Recovery does not "just happen", it takes a lot of hard, boring work in the gym. The more you put into therapy, the more you will get out of it.

Again, it is going to take a lot of work. Also, one thing that patients often overlook in rehab, is balance and agility. This have to be specifically worked on, just like range of motion and strength.

Talk to your surgeon at your next visit. Explain your situation and your goals, and see if he/she thinks it is realistic. Every case (patient, fracture, situation, etc) is different. So, your surgeon will be the person in the best position to give you an idea if your plan is realistic.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?