Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

healing after quitting smoking

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
User Profile
If you've smoked as a teen only for a year or so then quit, will your body heal itself back to normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 6th, 2008
yes
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I will update my post with the accurate answer. But from the top of my head, the lungs of a smoker will heal either 2, or 4 years after completely stopping.

Congratulations to you however, smoking is a sad way to kill yourself (no offense intended for you smokers out there, but it is what it is). I've particular began to dislike the idea of smoking after taking my exercise science class and dealing with the almost psychotically dangerous (in the viewpoint of a smoker) but justified respiratory exercise teacher. He was involved in research for a clinic with kids who have Cystic fibrosis, whose lives will never be as long as ours because their lungs will eventually die out. He told us the reason why he was so passionate about smoking was because the thought of seeing one intentionally taking out their own lungs, when he has to deal with these children whose lungs are failing them because they were born with it.

I hope you haven't smoked too much to the point that your reserve lung capacity is damaged, after a certain point, your lungs will never heal. At this point, breathing becomes such a difficulty that your energy expenditure in an attempt to intake oxygen becomes too great for your body to handle, to the extent that even the energy intake from food will not be able to keep up with it. Which then will result in painstakingly slow death with every breath a huge difficulty. Yea, my teacher was quite cynical about that stuff.

And Yes, this is an odd attempt of scaring you from thinking about smoking again. Keep up the good work
|