Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Headaches , clicking and ear popping

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I'm 17 years old, and I've been getting headaches nearly every day for the past year or more.
Some other symptoms I have:
-Dizziness sometimes
-Ear popping while swallowing.
-Sore neck
-Strange sharp pains when turning head (feels like somethings pulling thorough my head)
-Clicking or dripping sounds.

I went to a neurologist last year, he just did a physical exam and told me that they were just tension headaches. I didn't experience dizziness and the sharp pain then, I'm sort of worried.

Thanks! Smile

Also, I have small bumps all over the back of my head under the skin that I'm assuming are just cysts... but I'm not sure, wondering if they have anything to do with the headaches.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds as you may have a TMJ disorder.
See a dentist that is familiar with this condition, that affects the temporomandibular joint (jaw joint, connecting the lower jaw to the skull in front of the ear) and gives a wide range of symptoms, among which are the ones you are experiencing: headaches of different quality and intensity, dizziness, ear ringing, clicking or popping jaw joints, swallowing difficulties, neck pain, tired, sore neck problems.
Bruxism (grinding the teeth) and clenching (jaw tightening), jaw injury, jaw joint disease like arthritis, are all risk factors for developing the TMJ disorder.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied December 12th, 2009
Where are you getting the headaches? I've had headaches for the past 2 months now just a dull constant aching and my neck seems to get sore sometimes. My ears also seems to pop or click when I swallow, more when I lay down. Haven't had too many other symptoms and was just wondering what you had discovered lately?
|

replied February 16th, 2010
My wife had similar symptoms for months. Scads of doctors found nothing. It turned out to be TMJ problems. Near instant relief with proper treatment.
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
PAIN in LEFT SIDE OF HEAD, EAR, CHEEK/SINUS AREA
BADTMJHEADACHE,
May I ask what treatment was successful for your wife''s TMJ symptoms? I am picking up an occlusal guard today as I keep having left head, ear and cheek pain and am trying to be optimistic. I am just coming off a 5 day medrol pack that really helped, but the pain started again last night while lying down, and is coming back worse than ever.

Thank you.
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
She found a dentist that does prolotherapy on the TMJ. That provided quick relief. Long-term treatment was then oral splint, retainer-like device to sleep in. Longer term was braces and moving teeth.
|