Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

headache

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I have had a headache for about three months now, a knot has come up on the left side of my head behind my ear, i also experience pain in my left eye and the top of my head feels like someone is putting a knife in it. I am unable to touch the top of my head without experiencing severe pain. I have been to my doctor and he has done mris and ct-scans but has not found anything.I am constantly tired and have no energy. PLEASE HELP ME I CANNOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 24th, 2009
Experienced User
Did you have any type of head injury before this happened?

Did you go to a neurologist or your regular doctor? Did they say what type of headache it was? Migraine or anything? Did they give you any pain medication? Is there anything that brings relief or anything besides touching the top of your head that makes it worse?

Are you having any other symptoms with it?
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
headache
I went to my regular doctor, he said they were migraines.He gave me some muscle relaxers but all they do is make me groggy.I have not been able to find any relief, I have just learned to get by.I also have vomiting and shoulder and back pain,and stiffness in my joints.
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Experienced User
There are a lot of therapies out there.
What about non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.)? Do those help?

If they are severe enough, there are many specific drugs out there to treat migraines. My mother and grandmother both use Imitrex for acute migraines, but they take other things (like Topamax, which is an anti-seizure medication) to prevent them in the first place. Certain antidepressants also work, for some reason, even if you aren't depressed. Believe it or not, I have even heard that Botox injections have worked wonders for people who don't respond to anything else.

Just be particularly careful not to take too much pain medication for too long or you will experience rebound headaches.

It might also be helpful to find out what triggers your migraines. Common triggers include: stress, hormonal changes (they may be worse around your period and can be caused by contraceptive pills or hormone replacement therapy), foods (including caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, cheese, etc--a food diary can help you identify what may make yours worse), lack of sleep, certain medications, etc.

Go back to your doctor. You shouldn't have to suffer like this. If your regular doctor won't help, go to a neurologist. There is also a lot of information out there about migraines, so do some research so you can ask the right questions and know what therapies are out there. It may take a while and a lot of trial-and-error to find out what will work for you, but it is very likely you will find something that does.

Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2009
Supporter
suffered for years from migraine headaches, was put on imetrex. i would curl up in a ball and pray for God to let me die b/c the pain was so bad. stabbing in head or eye, sensitive to light, pain so bad feel nauseous, don't more the bed where i m lying on b/c it would hurt me.
the doctor blames sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day, straining my eyes when i need glasses.
i m not working, nor am i in a relationship, and it's been years since i had a migraine. so it was related to stress.
please research holistic herbal remedies. give this a chance.
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Experienced User
Just be careful mixing herbal remedies with any over-the-counter or prescription medications. Clear the combinations with your doctor first, so you don't have any interactions. Speaking of holistic/non-prescription remedies, acupuncture may also be something to explore.
|