Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Head pain symptoms after car accident

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
Hi, I participated in an off-road 'Race for the Cure' just over 2 weeks ago and we rolled our car. The car was equipped with a roll cage and all required safety restrains, however, I failed to secure the chinstrap on my helmet. The car rolled twice and all the while my helmet was flying around smacking me in the head, I think I was also hit by several tools flying around in the car. After being assessed by one the scene medics I went to the local hospital where I was given neck & shoulder X-rays and a CT scan which came out okay. I was given a couple prescritions for pain killers and muscle relaxers and sent on my way. For the first week following the left side of my head hurt so bad, felt like my brain was swollen under my skull. I was told to expect pain for a while so I took my pain meds and rested alot. The second week I just had a slight recurring headache. I woke up today experiencing pain and tenderness in the left side of my head and ear pain. Is this normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2009
Headache and Migraines Answer A7649
These symptoms are common after a car accident. These symptoms generally last from 6-12 weeks. However, it is possible that these symptoms are coming from whiplash (torn muscles in the front and back of your neck). You might consider consulting with a chiropractor to see if this is occurring. This type of injury would not show up on an xray, and the problems resulting can last for many years. Some questions I would ask you would be: Does your neck hurt at all? Does the pain start around the base of your neck and travel up around your ear to your temple area? Is it tender on top of your collar bone (wear it connects to your sternum)? If so then it could be whiplash or a strain of your neck muscles.

Antonio Marotta, D.C.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.