Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Head Indentation

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I have an indentation "dent" on the top of the back of my head. It is probably about one inch by one inch. On one side of the dent, it's actually raised up before it lowers into the indention. There is no "soft spot" inside the dent, and there is no pain when I touch it. I also have tingling in the spot, along with hair loss that's becoming noticeable; my scalp is readily seen in that area, right through the hair. At first, I was very concerned with the cosmetic aspect of it, and not wanting to lose my hair. But once I felt the indentation, I'm much more worried that it could be something serious. Anything I find online, seems to say that most of these indentations that people have on their head are just natural sutures. Today, I began having a terrible headache, which I never get. Yes, I should go get this checked out - But I have 0 health insurance, and am a single mother of 3 trying to get myself through nursing school, and can't readily afford health insurance NOR a huge bill for an ordered MRI to see what's going on.

Wondering if anyone has any insights?!? I have already started looking into getting health insurance so that I can get this looked at, but I hope this makes sense when I say that I'm just hoping for some insight in the meantime. Thank you for reading this and giving it some thought.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 30th, 2009
Did you bump it perhaps to make it go in like that? If not then you should definitely get it checked out. Wait for about 24 hrs to see if its gone away. & if its been more than 24 hrs...then if your in nursing school maybe have one of your teachers or someone look at it for you. That's all I can think of. Best of luck!
|

replied October 26th, 2009
head indentation.....
Yes, get it checked out. I have a dent too. Just tonight a was chatting with a young man at our daughter's dance studio. He was telling me as a kid he had a dent and lost his hair b/c of a type of Lupus. I also have a dent in my head, and some systemic Lupus symptoms. Went to the Dr. today to have blood drawn. Do get checked out, just to be sure you are ok. It may be nothing, but it would reassure you to know. Hope you are doing well!
|

replied June 22nd, 2011
ALASKAN77 Did you ever get a diagnosis? I have the EXACT same thing going on, including hair loss. I am a 25 year old Female. I have the exact same kind of indentation that you described.
|