Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

HCV test - when is it conclusive

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
User Profile
Hi there,
To whomever it may concern,

I find different information about the window period of HCV.
I`v got tested after 12 weeks. I thought I can get a conclusive result but I`v got confused.
Can you tell me how conclusive is a negative result after 12 weeks? (My liver enzymes were fine after 10 weeks.)
Thanks!
Nick
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

Initial testing for the diagnosis of hepatitis C infection uses serologic assays that detect human antibodies generated as a response to hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection.

The window period or the waiting period to get a confirmation, that you are not infected with Hepatitis C is 6 months.

Individuals with a negative HCV antibody test result should be informed they are not infected with HCV, as long as they have not had a potential exposure to HCV in the prior 6 months. If they have not had a potential exposure to HCV in the prior 6 months, they do not need further follow-up HCV testing, unless they have an exposure to HCV in the future.

Hence as explained above, you need to repeat the test at 6 months , post exposure, to confirm that you are not infected. But if you develop any signs and symptoms, indicative of liver or viral illness, then testing should be done in between, so that if it is positive, proper tests and treatment can be initiated.

I hope this clears your doubts.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.