Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

hcg diet and melanoma

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
Hi my name is Lisa and I just recently finished the hcg injection phase of the diet. I am in the first maintenance phase and doing very well. I lost weight and it really works. I was able to stick to this diet fairly easily and I love it! My question is regarding melanoma. I had some melanoma removed from my left leg in 2004 and stayed clear until this last March 2009 and had to get another very small piece taken out of my leg. My last pet scan was clear but my the Dr.s think it would be a good idea to do some radiation targeted in that area. I mentioned the HCG diet to them and none had heard of it, but were very leary of it and said they would look into it. I was told that the hormone shot and melanoma are not good together and could result in I guess, bringing out more melanoma. I wasn't really clear on what they meant, but I'm sure I will be advised not to do it again. I want to do at least two more rounds of HCG but need to know it's safe. Since it is not FDA approved, I'm wondering if that's the reason why. This is the only diet I've ever done that has such great results and I feel so good. The weight loss I've had so far has helped my knees feel better and I feel healthy. Can you please give me your opinion regarding this. Sincerely, Lisa
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
Unfortunately, I am not aware of any clinical data regarding the effects (if any) of this diet on the risk of melanoma recurrence. Your doctors are being prudent and cautious in the absence of any compelling data that this HCG program is safe. I would support your doctors' concerns, given the lack of evidence that HCG is safe in patients with melanoma. Metastatic melanoma is a highly lethal disease. You have to balance the very small possibility that these HCG injections might stimulate your melanoma to grow against the benefit that you derive from these injections.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.