Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

have to get a cortisone shot would i need crutches?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
So im 14 and have to get a cortisone shot would i need to be on crutches after it will be in my knee
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
dkinser0919,

You are very young to be needing cortisone injections. Except in cases of significant inflammatory arthropathies, such as rheumatoid arthritis, the use of cortisone is not recommended in patients with fairly normal articular cartilage.

Though cortisone was used pretty willy-nilly in the past, it is now not recommended, except in cases where oral medicine has not been able to control severe intraarticular inflammation.

It has been shown that cortisone can damage normal cartilage, if used in high doses or multiple times.

So, if you do need the cortisone for a severe inflammatory process, then you need it.

But, no, you will not need crutches after having an injection of cortisone. You will be a little sore at the injection site, and the knee may feel a little full. But, if you have significant intraarticular inflammation causing severe pain, the cortisone will make the knee feel much better.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2012
i have two surgery on my right knee i just had a cortisone injected im feeling bettr i need a knee replecement the two surgery i had were no good for me i have arthrithris
|

User Profile
what do we do when we had a gastrobypass and is vomiting blood and also has inflammation on the stomach
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
manny0885,

Contact your surgeon immediately. Vomiting blood is never normal.

Good luck.
|
Quick Reply