Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

have not developed any symptoms, should I be tested again?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hi doctor,

i am an indian,I used condom while having sex with call girl in Singapore about nine month back, due to anxiety,I have been tested thrice for HIV-antibody through ELFA test in 3rd, 6th and 9 month respectively but the result came non reactive, however it is suggested by CDC that test after six month is conclusive but somewher I found in website that it can go up to one to two years, yet I have not developed any symptoms of HIV, should I be tested again after the year??? can window period be more than nine month to produce antibodies,

Regards


Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A27667
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

HIV is a incurable disease. Precaution and continuous testing is recommended procedure so that chances of ‎‎detection and proper treatment can be increased and other individuals getting infected due to unknown cases can ‎‎be prevented. ‎

Your test results done until 9 months are conclusive and indicate that you do not have HIV.‎

The ‘window period’ is a term used to describe the period of time between HIV infection and the ‎production of antibodies.‎ Once a virus, is detected by the immune cells of the body, antibody synthesis is initiated and it persists ‎‎as long as the virus is active in the body. ‎

‎‎97% of normal individuals with a good immune system, produce antibodies within 4-12 weeks and the ‎‎remaining (3%) might produce the antibodies, around or after 6 months. ‎

It is extremely rare for a person to take any longer than 6 months to develop detectable antibodies.‎

In case a individuals have conditions that result in late production of antibodies - testing after 12 weeks or after 6 ‎months is advised. Most of these conditions are rare genetic diseases - and do present much earlier in life and ‎individuals will always be sick with respiratory and diarrheal infections throughout their life.‎

In case you were infected in reality, then the antibodies would be in higher titres and you would have ‎had severe manifestations of HIV infection by now. ‎

Your immune system is completely in normal condition and there ‎should not be any form of doubt about that. ‎

You do not have HIV antibodies in your blood, as you are not infected in the first place.

In your case, your issues are more due to the feeling of guilt and anxiety over the act committed, which is causing you more psychological turmoil, which is therefore causing you to feel that you may he infected with HIV.

There is no need to be tested again now, since your test at 9 months is negative.

You need not be worried about your past, but you need to be cautious about your sexual behavior in ‎‎the future. ‎




|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.