Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

have had sinus problems for over three years

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
Hi, so I am trying to find solutions where none seem to exist. Every other morning I get up around 5am and blow furiously over the toilet using saline solution and a combination of prescribed nose sprays including astepro, fluticasone and an OTC decongestant. Have had allergy tests and seem to be allergic to everything.

Also have tried: eliminating sources of irritation including washing linens, vacumming with special bags, using inhalers because thanks to this, I have asthma. Also take OTC allegra and loradadine before going to bed.

In summary, nothing is working and the other night was the tipping point. Made a video with my watch in hand and laptop showing how I was up all morning because of this; from 3am until about 12pm I tried all of the above and nothing worked.

I have a suspicion that this is due to a drug I am taking for seizures that went generic about the same time that this all started, some three years ago. That drug being keppra or levetiracetam. Sinus problems are one of the more uncommon symptoms, but it is still listed in the package of possible side effects. My neuro doctor is skeptical. So, but what am I supposed to do? THe next options seem to be surgery or allergy shots. Neither I look forward to.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MarkMM
|

replied April 1st, 2011
I empathize with you. I was recently diagnosed with sinus. Ever since I have been trying to read up on the causes and cures for sinus.

I work full time as a teacher. Since you seem to have tried out everything, I wonder if you could advise me on a quick and convenient cure when I am in school. I am hesitant to take drugs and would prefer something like a nasal spray that is convenient to use and offers quick relief.

Thank you.

Kathy
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Hello kathy
Was wondering if u still suffer from sinus. Cause iam looking for relieve from sinus my self.
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Sinusvictim wrote:

I work full time as a teacher. Since you seem to have tried out everything, I wonder if you could advise me on a quick and convenient cure when I am in school. I am hesitant to take drugs and would prefer something like a nasal spray that is convenient to use and offers quick relief.

Dear Kathy,

As you are aware there are 4 pairs of sinus cavities which open into the nasal passage. Infection can cause the sinuses to swell. This in turn can lead to the blocking of the opening of the sinuses. As a result, mucus can start collecting in the sinuses. This build-up of mucus leads to pressure on the sinus walls and this causes pain. Also Bacterias love mucus, since it helps them thrive.

To get quick relief, the mucus in the nose should be cleared. Since you work, a nasal spray is far more practical than a neti pot.

There are different types of nasal sprays in the market - with drugs/without drugs, with different content....... Based on your preference and medical condition, you may want to select an appropriate nasal spray.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
|

replied April 7th, 2011
MarkMM wrote:

As you are aware there are 4 pairs of sinus cavities which open into the nasal passage. Infection can cause the sinuses to swell. This in turn can lead to the blocking of the opening of the sinuses. As a result, mucus can start collecting in the sinuses. This build-up of mucus leads to pressure on the sinus walls and this causes pain. Also Bacterias love mucus, since it helps them thrive.

To get quick relief, the mucus in the nose should be cleared. Since you work, a nasal spray is far more practical than a neti pot.

There are different types of nasal sprays in the market - with drugs/without drugs, with different content....... Based on your preference and medical condition, you may want to select an appropriate nasal spray.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your advise.

In terms of medical condition, I suffer from Chronic Sinusitis.

In terms of preference, I would prefer a nasal spray that is convenient to use; for example I should be able to use it in school. The nasal spray should provide quick relief and importantly, it should be drug free. I have this morbid fear of getting addicted to nasal spray.

Could you please suggest a good nasal spray. Using a neti-pot in school is out of the question.

Thanks.

Kathy.
|

replied April 20th, 2011
Hi Kathy,

You have mentioned that you are looking for a drug free nasal spray. You may need to experiment with a few sprays before you finalize on your preferred spray.

I have had sinusitis for the last 15 years. I have tried many different types of nasal sprays. When I started using nasal sprays, I quickly realized that a drug free, gentle spray works best for me. I also had this fear of getting addicted to a nasal spray.

After all my experimentation, I have settled for a drug free, non-systemic, non-habit forming nasal spray called Sinox. Unlike most other drug free nasal sprays that use salt (sodium chloride) and baking powder (sodium bicarbonate), Sinox nasal spray uses Sodium Chlorite and Sodium Carbonate. These ingredients are gentler and more effective. It also has lactic, citric and phosphoric acids and a food-grade surfactant.

I find that these ingredients work for me. Similarly you will have to experiment and figure out what works for you.

I wish you luck.
|

replied December 14th, 2011
Confused
Hi. My 6 year old son has been suffering from constant sinus infections from the age of 2. He had his adnoids removed December of 2011. And still continues with sinus infections. The EMT doctor ruled out polyps. He just told us the other day at a recheck that these so called sinus infections are not sinus infections. He thinks its something else. He wants to wait till he gets these symptoms again to do a CT scan and rule out what is the cause. Have you guys heard of this situation. I don't know why its taken them almost six years to even run a CT scan or X-ray or even an MRI. Help with any info would be great. Thanks a ton.
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
Sinusitis
Nature's Rite Sinus Relief with colloidal silver made a huge difference for me. My sinusitis is gone and colds disappear within 5 days. Another option may be Sovereign Silver. I have a friend who swears by this.
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Sinusitis, Reply
Hi brainsine, dont use saline too much, because you do need some mucus to help protect you from irritants. i have had chronic sinusitis for the last 12 years.
i know what ur going thru. you need to get of the nasal sprays and pills. asap. The otc nasal spray is the worst of all, quit by only spraying in only 1 nostril for 3-4 days, and then switching to the other nostril. This will give time for the nostril that you didnt spray to naturally heal. The flonase you can just stop abruptly. Antihistamines are tricky, they work for some and not for others. The downfall of antihistamines is that is makes you dry, which in turn will make bacteria build up and stick to the walls in your nasal cavities, creating more problems.

Try this!!!!!!
Do a nasal cleanse in the morning only.
buy 12hour(not the 24 hour) sudafed, not sudafed PE, it has to say pseudophedrine only, in most states you need an id to buy it from the pharmacy.
Take it as directed, every 12 hours. Drink a full glass of water with it.
you might feel hyper or jittery at first, but that will go away in a few days as your body gets use to the medication.
Sudafed gets a bad rap, side effects include rapid heart, anxiety, high bp,
As long as you have a healthy heart its fine.
i cant stress it enough, sudafed, sudafed, sudafed!!!!!! Toss your other meds and buy sudafed.

Contact me if you have any questions
|