Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Hard to read, getting eye floaters and eye flashes.

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
So this is going to be a little on the long side so I can fill in all the details. About a year ago I started getting eye floaters and eye flashes (which I later came to believe are white blood cells in the eyes when I look at the sky or other bright light sources). So really I had these two things without any other really problamatic eye problems (that I can remember) until the end of the school semester in may. I didn't do a lot of reading until I started interning at this hospital in june, but then I noticed it was harder to read. And from June throughout August I found it a lot more difficult to read than usual, but I figured I was just imagining it and when I started to have to read full-time come school everything would be fine. However, this past fall semester was really terrible because it was really hard for me to read (I could still do school it just took me a lot longer and was a lot more straining and frustrating than it used to be). So I went to the optometrist during the fall semester and told them my trouble reading. They said I was far sighted (which I already knew and hadn't had problems with before) but said I still had 20/20 vision. But they gave me reading glasses anyways. The reading glasses didn't help so I told them that later and they gave me stronger reading glasses (1.00 to now 1.50). This still didn't make it any better, and I'm pretty sure my problem isn't fixed with reading glasses or anything like that. So I struggled through the last semester, but then I used my brother's computer (which had an anti-glare reflective screen) for finals last (fall) semester and it seemed to make it easier to read somewhat especially when I reflected light off of it and had glare coming of the computer screen over the part I was trying to read. I know this sounds really weird so I didn't think much of it. However, over winter break I went to the opthamologist because I heard I should get my eyes checked out there. He looked at my eyes and said they were fine, and when I told him that I definitely had had problems with reading he kind of stopped and acted like he didn't believe me and I was making it up. But then he said he could do an eye strain exam, but at that point I had already spent 100 bucks (and I'm a poor college student so that's a lot for me). And I didn't think that that would help at all and I didn't want to waste another 100 bukcs so I just didn't follow up. However, this semester I have found out that if I reflect light and glare off my computer screen towards my eyes when I read I can read detectably easier. I have no idea why this is and this doesn't make sense to me, but it does help. So my question is does anyone know what problems I have or has anyone heard of this helping? I had just kind of given up on ever figuring out what was wrong with me until I realized this. I just really want to figure out what I can do to help with my reading because I used to enjoy studying somewhat but now it's just a really exhausting and frustrating thing. Also, I have this weird more sensitive afterimage affect (where I will look at a word on maybe a bright screen and I will look away after like 1-2 seconds and the word is burnt on my vision). I know if you start at a word on a bright background for an extended period of time this will happen, but I know that it has gotten a lot more sensitive over the past year.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 8th, 2013
I know you posted this a year ago, but I wanted to say that I have the exact same problem. The floaters, flashes, after image thing and trouble reading. Have you found out what it is yet?
|

replied July 8th, 2013
yeah so the opthamologists thought I had Convergence Insufficiency Syndrome which turned out I didn't have that. However, I do have latent hyperopia which is where you are very farsighted to the point of where you normally wouldn't be able to read without glasses. However, in latent hyperopia your eyes are strong enough to accomodate so you can read it just takes a lot of effort and made my studying life a living nightmare. because I could read well enough to keep going on through school but it was really hard to. Anyways, basically I'm just wearing reading glasses full-time now to accomodate for it. I still haven't found the strength I need yet but I feel like I'm getting close so that's something. Just ask your opthamologist if you may have latent hyperopia because I went to 2 different opthamologists/opticians until the 3rd one caught it.
|

replied July 13th, 2013
Thank you so much for replying. Out of last hope, I immediately went to the store to buy reading glasses, but so far I'm not really sure if it's helping or not. I booked an appointment with the opticians, so I hope I get an answer there.

I have to ask though, and in no case do I mean this as an insult, but I myself have autism, asperger. And whenever I have some physical troubles, like now with my eyes, it gets blamed to my autism or high sensitivity.
Do you maybe have any spectrum syndrom or something?
So that if you don't, I can finally tell my parents that not everything can be blamed on my autism?

In any case, thank you so much for replying.
|

replied August 25th, 2013
Yeah I don't have spectrum disorders. Sorry for not responding in a while.
|