Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

hard lumps on back of head and neck

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I did not notice this before tonight. on the lower back part of my head I have a decent sized lump. (about the size of the end of your pinky) It is hard and does not move. It is a little tender to the touch. I also just noticed another one about an inch or so lower (more on my neck). Again it does not moveand is little tender.
I have not hit my head.
I have been having sever problems with focus and memory. I am always in like a fog and no matter how hard I try, I cannot focus long enough to add up 6 numbers on a calculator. That has been going on for a few months now. I keep meaning to see the doctor about that. My mother thinks it is ADD. About 6 months ago I was suffering from severe persistent headaches. We never figured out what they were...but since then I get them less frequently. The doctors did many tests, but everything said I was normal...except my head hurt. I have trouble sleeping and when I wake I do not feel rested at all.
The last part probably has nothing to do with the lumps, but I thought I would give all my ailments in hopes for some sort of answer.
Should I be worried?
Oh and I am a 23 year old female. Perfect weight for my height. No other health problems as far as I know.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Doodle3232
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are this bumps located in same line, one under other?
Do they still feel tender on touch?
Are you experiencing severe fatigue?
Do you sore throat or fever?
|

replied March 25th, 2008
yes
Yes I am very tired, Yes they are tender, Yes I have two lumps one about an inch or two directly under the other. I no longer have a sore throat. I did have strep throat about two to three weeks ago. I took antibiotics for it.
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you been done a throat swab to check for a strep throat infection?
Did you find the antibiotics helpful?
Do you have fever and headaches?
Have you noticed decreased appetite?
Are you experiencing muscle weakness and dry cough?
|

replied September 27th, 2012
Lumps below right ear and bottom of head on same side
Ive been experiencing the same thing, just no sore throat. Two lumps lined up one under the other right below my right ear. also a lump that is very tender on the back of my head at the very bottom near hairline. I have been very, very tired, and i have recently broke out in little pimples i call them,, on my scalp that has caused the hair around it to fall out. The lumps below my ear are starting to hurt . They get bigger day to day. this has been going on for about a week almost two weeks. My muscles in my legs feel very week. I have had no appitite. I have been getting headaches but nothing major. Any suggestions anyone?
|

replied June 14th, 2010
i have had a lump on the back of my neck for about 2 years now. it is on the left side, just under the hairline and is a bit bigger than a pea. it is hard and is raised from my skin though if felt, you can see it goes into my skin aswell. i dont get a lot of pain from it though sometimes do. i think it has got slightly bigger since it appeared. about a week ago i noticed another, smaller lump on the right side of my neck.
i am often ill and get frequent headaches almost everyday that have a searing pain and seem to originate from the back of my head. does anyone know what the lumps could be?
|

replied February 7th, 2011
lump and stiffness on the nape
i also have a lump on my nape. it's really hard and it's in the middle. it's not noticeable but you can feel it when you press it hard. when i tilt my head down i can't feel it. but when i tilt my head up i can feel it. it's hard like a marble it's kind of slightly larger than a marble. i don't feel ill or anything but i sometimes feel stiff when i lay flat on my stomach; (my head tilts sort of vertically) using my laptop. And when i strain my neck from doing some paper works, long drives where i cannot rest my head etc. what i do is i just rest and i just goes away. if it's really stiff i put some "salonpas" pain relief patch, eventually the stiffness goes away but the lump is still there. i can't actually notice if it's getting bigger because you can't really tell that i have a lump unless you press my nape hard. i hope this is not serious because i don't have the money for a major operation of anything. i hope all will be well for us guys. take care... ; )
|

replied September 29th, 2011
Knots in Base of Skull
No one knows what it is or how to treat it. I have had knots in the base of my skull for over 7 years and they wont go away. Today, the knots are as large as small chicken eggs, but my stupid doctor (new doctor) just told me today that the lumps are a part of my skull. What a person. My doctor I was seeing when I had a job in another state, was treating these lumps with cortisone shots which over a period of 4 weeks, the knots were slowly shrinking in size. Now that I moved back to Oklahoma, I can't find a doctor who can help me. I will be doctor surfing until I can find one in this state who not only knows what I'm talking about, but will help me with the excruciating pain I am suffering.
My Neurologist just acts like I don't know what I am talking about when I tell him that the majority of my DAILY MIGRAINES is due to these massive and painful knots at the base of my skull.
I am so sick of being treated like I don't know what causes me pain. I am sick of being IGNORED when I tell these people these KNOTS are a huge problem and ARE the cause of my Migraines.
I wish SOMEONE would just speak up and tell us what these knots are and HOW we got them, and HOW to get RID OF THEM.
I am sick of living in extreme pain from day to day and I just want my life back to normal with NO PAIN from knots in the base of my skull.
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
I suffer from these same things. I'm also a 23 year old female. I've always been one of the healthiest in my family. I'm VERY active. I'm a dancer, full time worker and have a very hyper little dog, so I'm always on the move.
I DO, however, suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which I was diagnosed with about 5 years ago (after a year of being told I was just making things up). As soon as I was put on medication for it, though, I felt as good as new.
However, 5 years down the road and 1 year off the meds, I'm now out on my own, working a full-time, minimum wage job and trying to pay bills, rent and support my dog who has recently developed some problems himself.
I found the first hard, pea-sized lump, where my head and neck meet, when I was in bed after an 8 hours work day and 4 hours at the emergency vet. It freaked me out to the point of tears. The next day, at the vet again, the migraines rolled in. It went on, non-stop for about 2 weeks. Work, vet, migraines and 2 NEW BUMPS. more panic at night=no sleep. Finally, my dog got better, I had a migraine-free day and took him for a walk, a couple days later, no bumps.
I called my mom and my doctor, who both told me that the lumps could have been knotted muscles, and that by stressing over the dog, money, work, and the lumps and headaches I may have caused the new lumps to form. I think that may be a definite possibility because after rubbing the last one almost all day, it seemed to soften, expand and, eventually, disappear.
I'm still keeping an eye on it though, because my neck feels very fatigued most of the time and my nape is very tender, even when just looking up. But I find that on days when I feel rested, I have no problem. I have a migraine right now, along with the neck and nape thing, and I got plenty of rest last night, but it was also a stressful day.
Things I've learned that seem to effect it are: how rested I feel, sleeping patterns, whether I ate healthy or not, caffeine (when I have caffeine, it's just a matter of time before a migraine hits), STRESS LEVELS (that's when a lump will start popping up for me) and if I'm sick. Sometimes I feel like none of these causes it, but when I think back I can usually think of some reason why I might be stressed.
Seeing as how this has become an ongoing problem, and that it HAS kept me from work a couple days, I think I may end up calling my doc and going back on the anti-anxiety meds, because I do think that's playing a part in it.
I recommend some of you talk to your doctor/a doctor about stress levels and see if maybe it could have a roll in it. Worrying about the lumps in our necks DOES cause a lot of anxiety. That might lead them to look into that and maybe it will open some new doors. Sometimes starting at a new angle can lead your doctor to the progress you want Smile
Good luck to us all!
|

replied October 25th, 2012
The original person needs a sleep study more than likely you have sleep apnea. Lack of oxygen or decreased oxygen can cause constant headaches and high blood pressure. The lumps are more than like swollen lymphnodes from a sinus infection or allergies. Good luck!
|

replied November 29th, 2012
Same!
This is crazy - i just found this post as I have a lump on the back of my head. Its from 1" level with right ear lobe to centre of skull, quite very tender - I probably dont help as I keep touching it Sad ouch! I have been quite worried until reading this. Similarities with me, long work hours, much PC work, large amount of stress with bills and some harassment cases getting me down. I'm 36 male not terribly unhealthy (though poor diet). Bad bad memory and headaches..
|