Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Hard lump under skin

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hi,
I've had a lump on my inner thigh for a few years now. It started out with a tiny black, hard something sticking out of it just barely- I had thought it might be a bite of some sort, and the mandible got stuck in the skin? Or perhaps I got a splinter there. I would occasionally pick at it- it seemed very lodged.

Either way, it's changed recently- I'm not exactly sure when, but I noticed it today. The lump had been about the size of a small pea, and was a subtle purplish/bluish color. I didn't notice it much- I'm a slender person, but it's right at the fattiest point of my thigh, and I don't think there are many nerves running right there? But now the spot is dime sized, pink (I'm white, by the way), with a white area just around the middle. The black mandible thing has gone away, and now there is a pin sized hole- the hole seems fairly deep. It's completely dry. The lump is hard, and now it's sore. Before, when I messed with it, I didn't really feel any pain. But now, after feeling around a little to see how big the thing is, it's sore, and I can feel it when I walk. Also, it protrudes just slightly, and before it lay pretty flat.

Those horror stories about spiders growing under the skin are scary, but...I've had this thing for a year or two now, and it's just changed, so I figure that's not it, haha.

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. Smile My mother suggested keeping it coated with Neosporin, and keeping a bandaid on it in the hopes of sweating something out- assuming the irritant (I'm guessing that mandible/splinter thing is just irritating my skin, causing a lump...maybe?) has moved deeper into my skin. Does this sound like a good plan?
Did you find this post helpful?
|