Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hard lump on Knee Cap after falling

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
About 4-5 months ago I fell directly on my left knee cap. It HURT and the next day it was swollen, bruised and hurt to walk. I iced it and a couple days later I was fine. Well I noticed after the fall, I got a hard lump on my knee cap.

I don't have insurance so I never got it looked it, but I've been doing a lot of research to see if I could self diagnose myself. At first I thought bursitis, but was told by family that that's probably not the case bc my whole knee isn't swollen and the lump is hard and doesn't move around. I walk fine, but it does ache. I elevate it and ice it here and there. The lump just won't go away.

Any ideas what it could be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
shaunaLC,

It could be from a few things.

When you have a sharp blow to a bony area, it can actually cause the bone to overgrow just a little. This is called an exostosis, or sometimes referred to an a bone spur.

Another possibility is that, when the hematoma (bruise) resolved, some of the tissue became fibrotic. This would cause a hard cartilage like lump.

Both are benign. But, both can also cause discomfort if pressed on or bumped.

But, the only way to know for sure would be to have the knee x-rayed.

There is a bursa, directly under the skin, on top of the patella (kneecap). It can become inflamed after a direct blow (or from repeatedly pressing on it, such as when scrubbing the floor - so it used to be called washer woman's knee). But, when it is swollen, it feels like a water balloon. It usually does not become hard like bone.

So, again, the only way to know for sure would be to have it check by a physician. Good luck.
|

replied May 20th, 2012
lump under neecap after falling
I have the same thing got it xrayed and its normal its when your bone starts to grow faster than ligiments it also happens when you fall on it. I fell on my nee but nobody belives me not even the docter but I now what happened because it happened to me and I was alone so f that docter and every one who douted me. thank you who comment ahead of me
or after me
|

replied May 20th, 2012
I have the same thing got it xrayed and its normal its when your bone starts to grow faster than ligiments it also happens when you fall on it. I fell on my nee but nobody belives me not even the docter but I now what happened because it happened to me and I was alone so f that docter and every one who douted me. thank you who comment ahead of me
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 5th, 2013
Fall on one knee cap
My mom fall on 1 knee, we went X-ray and nothin is shown of broken, fractured, etc. doc said if hairline cracks the X-ray can't pick up either. She has a lump on side of her knee cap but the lump progressively soften after 3 days. Now she is able o stand on feet for few mins but, if she bend her injured knee, the whole leg become cold - what is the cause of this? Doc suspected a disconnected vein behind her knee cap Sad
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
taracherrie,

Sorry about your mother's injury.

The lump is probably a soft tissue swelling due to the injury, which are quite common. They will usually go away on their own. But, sometimes, the hematoma which caused them, can form some fibrosus (scar). So, in some cases, the patient will have a small lump, which can be felt, but usually does not bother the patient at all. Only time will tell.

If the knee and lower leg is indeed becoming cool to the touch (and possibly turning dusky or light blue), then that could be due to a circulatory problem. But, it would be due to an artery not bringing in enough oxygenated blood (rather than a vein - veins take the nonoxygenated blood away from the limbs, while the arteries bring in the blood carrying oxygen).

So, it is possible that she does have a vascular problem. This might have actually been going on for a while, but the injury has now brought it to the surface.

She may need to be seen by a vascular surgeon and have some tests done. The back of the knee is a common site for vascular problems.

Hope your mother is going better.

Good luck.
|

replied April 22nd, 2013
At the end of a hike about one month ago, I fell on my right leg, and the impact was strongest on my knee and upper shin bone. For a while I had two bruised knots just below my knee cap and a large bruise on the side of my upper shin. The large bruise, and one of the knots have healed, but the knot that is just below my knee cap is no longer sore or painful, but there is still a very hard knot there, which basically feels like a lump of bone. It is a rounded lump that is definitely visible and unlike my other knee which was not injured. It doesn't bother me, except for any attempts to practice yoga or exercise that involves putting pressure directly on the knot. That is painful, but mostly because of where the knot is on my knee, it's just a high pressure spot, for yoga poses especially. I am worried that the knot is permanent, and that perhaps it is the fibrotic tissue that was mentioned here. I am wondering what kind of treatment a doctor might suggest, or if the bone will go back to normal so I can resume yoga and exercise. I do not have insurance, and I would want to make sure that a visit to a doctor would be worthwhile.
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2013
Especially eHealthy
seaah,

Unfortunately, it takes quite a while for these types of injures to resolve. Most of the time, the body will resorb the fibrosis, but in some cases a small lump will remain. There is no way of knowing. It mainly depends upon whether or not the person forms a lot of scar tissue in response to injury or not. Some patients form a lot of scar tissue, while others form very little. Again, there is no way of knowing.

As long as you do not have a lot of discomfort from the lump, there is not much that you need to do for it. You can try some deep friction massage to see if you can break up some of the scar tissue. But, mostly it is just a matter of time.

It takes about six weeks for soft tissue to physiologically heal. After that time it is a matter of the scar tissue maturing and softening. But, again, it takes time.

Good luck.
|

replied July 5th, 2013
acl surgery left with knot on knee and more pain
Mary, I don't have a reply but I do have a question? I had acl surgery march 2, 2013 on both knees and there is a hard knot on the front of my right knee cap. Frist time the doctor drain blood and before I could get home it was back so I went back and he drained it again now the third time it was a knot so I didn't go back, and my knees hurt worse know. I can't hardly drive or do anything. Come to find out there is nothing they can do. Why didn't the doctor just say that. Instead of making it worse and now there is a knot on one of my knees. Can anyone tell me what the knot is.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
2trusting,

Sorry you are having problems.

Unfortunately, without an examination of your knee it is really not possible to tell you what the "knot" actually is.

There are so many things which it could be.

You could have a herniation through one of your incision sites. You could have some scar formation around an incision site. And the list goes on.

If the knot is really bothering you, see your surgeon once again. And, keep seeing the surgeon, until something is done.

Wishing you the best.

Good luck.
|

replied October 24th, 2013
I had the same thing it just happend today actually. I was playing basketball in gym and i feel directly on my kneecap. IT HURT SO BAD. I went to the nurse and she gave me ice. She told me to leave it on there for 20 minutes. The ice didnt help at all. The office people told me to come back if it kept hurting well it did. She told me I had bruised it but there was a huge lump about half the size of a gulf ball on the left side on my knee. I dont know what to do any suggestions?I also tried puttign ice hot on it but what is weird is the week beofre i had a huge purple bruise from i dont know whta.
|
Tags: lump, swollen, ache
Quick Reply