Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Hard lump on breast

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
I am 27 years old. Recently I have had a hard lump on the right side of my right breast that is near my armpit. It is hard and rough. I also have swelling above my breast in the area where my arm meets my chest. It gets kind of sore when I extend my arm too much. I went to the Dr about 3 months ago but they disregarded it as swollen lymph nodes. I went back to the Dr 2 days ago she felt the lump but was puzzled at the swelling. I have now been referred to get a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound on Friday and I am very concerned. Also I was going to the tanner but the pigment in this area has not darkened. Could all this be a sign of breast cancer, if so what kind?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2009
Breasts Answer A7489
Almsot any lump in the breast can be a breast cancer, although, fortunately, breast cancer is quite uncommon in women your age, and most breast lumps in women who are in their 20s turn out to be benign.

Unfortunately, one cannot accurately tell if small lumps in the breast are cancerous (or not) simply by looking at them or feeling them. So, a mammogram and ultrasound are appropriate diagnostic studies in your case.

As you are concerned about the possibility of cancer, I cannot help but to note that you are a smoker. Smoking is the #1 cause of preventable cases of cancer in the world. Secondly, your use of tanning salons will also put you at increased risk of developing skin cancer, including melanoma (which is a potentially deadly form of skin cancer).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.