Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Hard lump in groin

Hi

I am writing on behalf of my Mum. Two weeks ago she went to temporary doctor as staying with me, as had hard lump in groin. When saw doc and got examined, he asked if have any bowel probs, i told him mum has colitis, she asked is the lump related to that and he said no much more serious than that. He then said she should go back to her own doc, i said not convenient and he said wel if turns out to be cancer dont you think you should! He was so abrupt and rude...anyway, we walked out, we then saw the manager who apologised and we have since then seen anther doc and she had scan today. Showed enlarged lymph gland in groin and cyst on ovary that will look at again in few months. Scan was of abdoman and generally around area of colan etc
Basically, we now waiting for biopsy.
We have been so worried since the doctors first comment and are now going to have to wait ages for the next results. The lump is very hard and semi moveable with no pain.....i have read a lot on this and know these are not good signs.Basically want to know if it could still be anything but cancer, but also......... we did see another doc who said it common to get lump in groin node and treatable or even benign....have also read up on lymphoma... is a lump that is in groin regarded as lymphoma? Could it be there is cancer somewhere out of abdomen area we don't know about and it has travelled to node? Would she not have other symptoms?
Sorry for ranting on.......really just want a bit of advice.

Thanks,Sam
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper terrypick123
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2011
Lymphoma typically causes painless (and progressive) enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. On the other hand, tender, painful lymph nodes are usually caused by infection or inflammation.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet to patients with concerns regarding enlarged lymph nodes. Based upon your description, however, it does sound as if a biopsy of lump should be performed, so that an accurate diagnosis can bemade.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.