Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hard bump about 2 inches below the knee

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hello there! I have a hard bump about 2 inches under my right knee, it is been there awhile and it starting hurting some. I was wondering if it is Patellar Tendon. I had broke my ankle 2 years ago the tibia bone. It was a bad break. I had plate and screws in but had them taken out last November. I notice this bump about a month ago. Could it have something to do also from my ankle? Thank you Deanna
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Deanna,

I assume you mean on the anterior (front side) aspect of the knee, just below the joint line. The patellar tendon attaches to the tibia at the tibial tubercle.

It is not uncommon for this attachment to become enlarged, especially in adolescents, in athletes who do explosive knee extension activities (kicking, jumping, sprinting). It is the body's way of strengthening the attachment. This is known as Osgood-Schlatter's disease (OSD).

It most likely has nothing to do with your ankle injury, except possibly that you put some extra stress on the tendon attachment during healing and rehab.

It is usually treated with decreased activities and some antiinflammatory medicine. Occasionally a Cho-Pat strap can help with the discomfort. Though this strap was designed for patellar tendonitis, some patients with OSD find it helps.

If your symptoms do not resolve, or they become worse, you should see your orthopedic surgeon.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?