Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

24/7 hard bloated lower abdomen.

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hello, last month i have noticed that my lower abdomen is hard, i mean really hard, I thought is just due to lack o exercise and not eating healthy foods.
so i tried to exercise and eat healthy foods, but i still have this bloated lower abdomen. even when i have a BM. i have a BM everyday,my period is nomal. I dont feel any pain though just a bit of discomfort. and a bit of pain on the left side of my ribs (below my breast)
I noticed that when i lay flat on my back, my lower abdomen is sticking out and the right part is bigger than the left.My stomach is really hard, 24/7 it doesn't go away even when i have an empty stomach or even i have a BM( before i always had a flat stomach in the morning) i will go to the doctor probably next week, i cant go today because it is our finals and i know the doc will have to do various tests. so have anyone of you have these symptoms? im actually really scared Sad please help me.

i am 18 years old, female. no medical history. not pregnant.

if i went to the doctor, what are the possible procedures that the doctor would recommend?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Your symptoms are probably due to indigestion related issues, irregular dietary habits, or ingestion of excess gas while eating.

The distended stomach due to bloating, occurs when you eat stuff, that produces excess of gas. In severe cases, the distension can cause abdominal discomfort. Chronic constipation can also have a additive effect here.

In general, foods with little fiber produce very little gas. First and foremost, you need to avoid foods that make your symptoms increase. Adopting a healthy dietary practices and a good exercise regimen will also improve your intestinal motility.

Some tips to help your symptoms include:-
1. Reducing intake of hot spicy and Fat rich foods, fried foods, is very important.
2. Try eating a little more slowly. When you eat fast, you swallow extra air with your food. Try to not talk while eating. Extra air while eating can lead to belching and gas production.
3. Eating at the same time each day and eating smaller meals more frequently may be beneficial as well.
4. Try to eat a balanced diet. Foods with high fiber may initially increase gas production. However, the this will decrease over time.
5. It is better not to drink fluids with your food. Drinking fluids with meals can increase your air intake and increase gas.
6. Avoid major gas producing foods like -
- Vegetables: Onions, Celery, Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumber, Cabbage,Cauliflower, Radishes , potatoes and eggplant.
- Beans, peas, Green salads, brown rice and leeks
- Fruits like - Raisins, Bananas, Apricots, Prunes, dried fruit
- Carbohydrates rich foods like - Bagels, Wheat Germ, Pretzels

In addition to the above tips, taking probiotic supplements and activated charcoal tablets (Charcoal, Charcocaps), will help in reliving your symptoms to a certain extent.

Hence in case, you have severe symptoms, your doctor will order a few basic tests at the start including a stool examination (for malabsorption), lactose tolerance tests (to rule out lactose intolerance), gastric motility studies and a ultrasound to rule out other possible causes of your bloating.

I hope this helps.

|

replied April 10th, 2012
Thank you so much for your reply.
I pass gas a lot especially in the morning. I really don't feel any pain, but as I said my stomach is rock hard.
My teacher who has the same problem recommended me to take garlic and turmeric pills. And it works for my digestion. but does nothing for the trapped gas, i will, however try your suggestions, thank you so much!
|

replied October 10th, 2012
Have you been to your doctor? If not, it would probably be a good idea before trying new things. You mentioned it being "hard" it would be good to have a physical examine.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
I know it is scary and worrying but doctors can be a lot if help to ease your mind.
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2012
Hi!
I would love to know if you found out exactly what it was that was causing this. I have the exact same symptoms. Including the right side of my stomach being bigger than the left when I lay down and I can't figure out what is wrong Sad

-Tanya
|

replied November 1st, 2012
So would I (exact same symptoms) !
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2012
Hi! You might wanna go to the doctors. I ended up having to because I couldn't find a solution on the nternet due to all the possible things it could of been and the doc told me that I was either extremely constipated, have a tumor, or pregnant. And it turns out that I'm having a little one Smile
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.