Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Handling fetus after abortion ?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I have a medical abortion scheduled to begin Monday. I am really upset about doing this even though I know I need to for a lot of reasons. I just don't know what to do with the fetus after it comes out. I think I would like to take it out to the country and bury it, but wonder if this is hypocritical of me? I can't handle thinking of just disposing it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AB93
|

replied September 12th, 2008
I think I have worked myself up after reading all of these post medical stories. I had been super careful for this not to happen in the ten years since my son was born. I have to finish school this year and am just in no position to handle this right now. I would have opted for a surgical, but I live in one of hte least populated states where they are only offered one day a week and there is a long waiting list. I hate this fear.
|

replied September 19th, 2008
Well, as I'm sure you've discovered now, there is no discernible fetus to speak of in the tissue that's expelled during a medical abortion. Here in the states they will not allow medical abortions after 8 weeks into the pregnancy, and at said point, it'd be extremely rare to be able to tell which of the blood clots shed contained the embryonic sac, it's not particularly large, maybe a bit more than a half-inch long. Some of the clots many women pass with a medical abortion would be the size of golf balls to the size of lemons, the chances you'd spot the actual embryo in all of that are very very slim.
|

replied October 29th, 2009
I've just had one (yesterday) and there was no way of telling which of the blood clots was a fetus even though I really tried so basically it was disposed of the same as everything else. Do you think it could still have been alive at that point?? It's something that has been driving me crazy since I first made the decision but was too scared to ask my doctor...
|

replied October 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
thoughtitwasjustme wrote:
Do you think it could still have been alive at that point??

No. The first pills you take interfere with the pregnancy so it ends at that stage. The second pills are given to expel the poc.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
My story of abortion
I experieced a medicial abortion a month ago and it was the hardest decision i have ever had to make and during the times of my examinations which made it very difficult and i couldn't keep delaying it longer as i hated the thought of a sugery to abort it, it just seemed wrong and too developed at 9 weeks. i'm 16 and knew this would be the right decision and best for the baby, my partner who's older would of loved to keep it though but stuck by me through it all and agreed it's right and someday when we're ready it will be much easier. I had my first pill on a mon which cuts of the blood supply and tues night before i was expected to go in i bled incredibly loads and i painted my partners sheets ans went through 3 pairs of underwear within hours it was dripping out and the blood clots started so i spent most the night on the toilet so i didnt see anything and next morning had to go in for another scan and the nurse tunred round a said it's all still there and the baby's heart it still beating so the answer to that question is yes it can still be alive after the first pill. When i had the following 4 pills to make my womb contract and after 2 hours of contractions it started and i didn't look at the clots but suddenly this large one came out about 4-5cm and my mum was the one taking the bed pans away and she was amazed at what she saw & i looked and my feelings were so different from what i expected as it felt in a weird way amazing seeing by baby and how developed it was at 9 weeks although it was tiny just less than an inch i reckon. I took a photograph which i know many people would find weird i would of i wasnt in that situated! But in my view i think abortion is wrong unless a good enough reason and its best for the baby but seeing my baby helped me alot as to me its still my baby and has a name, elijah : angle of innonce and guardian of those who die young. it just wasn't fair if it was born and life would of been difficult so to me it is still part of my life and i'm a mother in heart. Looking at it that way instead of knowing im breathing someone elses life and then just disapoing of it has helped after but many people will cope differently Smile
|

replied February 18th, 2011
I had a medical abortion a few days ago and for me, it was very easy to spot to fetus from the rest of the pregnancy passed. I myself was in the same situation of wanting to bury the fetus but for several reasons took into consideration that it would be forming more emotional bonds which would cause problems in the future and my emotional recovery. Although i believe it is a very thoughtful idea, i believe after an abortion, you need to focus on forgetting what has happened (as hard as that sounds) and focusing on the positives. I hope this has not been too negative and has helped you. I wish you the best of luck and know what you are going through x
|