Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Hand onion smell?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
So I work where food has to be prepped. Now I wash my hands daily and I mean when ever I get the chance Im kind of a neat freak. So I chopped onions on a Wednesday and for three days my hands smelt like them. (red onions btw) Then it disappeared. Saturday night I decided to masturbate and when I was done I notice the smell was back on my hands. What could this mean. I bathed and everything and it disappeared but when I masturbated yesterday it was back yet again. Is this normal? now when I pee or anything theirs like no un normal smell. After I bath im fine I dont get that onion smell at all and I wasn't getting it before I touched the onions I also used gloves to chop them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 21st, 2012
in response to lingering onion smells....
Hey. I was just looking up weird stuff online and I came across your post. I'm not sure about your specific issue, but from experience, I can say that I have had similar issues with handling/eating onions. The stronger an onion smells when I chop it, the worse it is. Red onions and milder smelling types seem the safest for such a sensitivity. I am not sure if it is allergy related or something. Look it up. I am a clean freak too. I wash my hands and my body much more often than the accepted "average" in this country. I do not smell. I even wash the inside of my vagina with soap, which if you wash it out, it actually doesn't hurt you at all despite what all these women and doctors (who are also complaining about how to control body odors, interestingly enough) state. I have been doing it since I was 17 and I am 33. No problems yet, and I don't anticipate any either. I don't have a wet crotch all day and I don't have to wear things like panty liners or use vaginal sprays. It's nice to have a healthy vagina and not smell down there. Not really rocket science though. Wink But, if I eat certain onions, I can later smell the onion smell when I urinate and even sweat. Your comment about smelling onions on your hands after you masturbated made me think of this. I bet the smell gets into your mucus membranes too, so it might make your semen smell slightly like onions. It's weird. When I have this issue, I wash my crotch with soap, I smell my hand, I smell onion faintly. It bugs me. I sweat, even with deodorant on, and I smell onion as well. Weird, right? All I have found that works is to drink a lot of water or herbal teas and to just keep up (a little extra perhaps) with your normal hygiene. Brush your teeth extra, use more mouthwash or mints, use wet wipes after you use the bathroom if you can't use soap and water right away. The smell doesn't last very long. Usually just a couple of days. This only happens when I consume really strong onions or products with really strong onions in them. I watch out for it and avoid it now. Maybe you should too. If you have to handle onions at work, get yourself some non-latex (so the food doesn't taste like rubber when you prepare it) gloves to wear when handling the food and have someone else who is less sensitive do the dishes. I find the smell of strong onions even lingers in dish water sometimes, and even that can get under your fingernails and leave a weird smell. The oddest thing about all of this is that no mater how insanely you wash once you have this temporary condition, the smell doesn't ever completely go away. It takes a day or 2. Just find out what works for you. Smile I think the worst thing was when I sweated and my armpits smelled like onions. So gross. I do love onions, I just try to beware of what types I consume. Cooking them is better than eating them raw as well. Trust me. Smile I thought I had some kind of serious medical condition the first time I sweated an onion smell, but it really just was the onion. I am a vegetarian of over 15 years, and I have a healthy diet and am 100% disease free and physically in good health, for other background info on myself. Anyways, it has been a few days since your post so you are probably over this by now. Smile Good luck!
|

replied October 27th, 2012
I figured it out, them red onions do real damage. Took a week in a half to get rid of the recurrent smell. I now wear three gloves when I cut them. My hands end up not smelling like them just my work clothes so I wash them every night. I also wash my hands a couple more times and I cut my nails down good enough where it cant get trapped under. So far im good. Thank you, and yes it was my first time cutting onions so strong and it had me worried for a second.
|