Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Hand continuously numb

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
Hello,
I have already seen an orthopedics doctor who then sent me to a neurologist for a nerve conduction study. It's carpal tunnel, but I have been scheduled to see the ortho for a follow up not for another 2 weeks.

My hand had bothered me off and on for the last several years. I am a computer programmer so I spend 10-12 hours per day on the computer. After driving to visit family my hand problems worsened and today it has been 6 weeks that the side of my hand has been numb. Braces no longer alleviate the numbness.

Warm, painful feelings in the fingertips at times. Pain in the wrist and forearm. Some tingling but the hand is to the point now where I can't sense temperature very well.

My question is - should I be pushing to try to get in faster? What are the chances of worsening it and causing severe nerve damage?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 13th, 2008
I had this problem too... I would touch really hot things and keep my fingers there without feeling anything.
Being that you're a comp programmer, you should really get this over with asap before your career gets affected!! try not using that hand much -- no matter what try not to move your wrist much, ok?? you think it doesn't help, but it does. try not picking heavy things up, give it as much rest as possible. this won't make it go away, but it'll also stop it from getting worse.
Moving your wrist will press the median nerve more, causing more and more pain.
xx
|
Did you find this post helpful?