Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

gurgling noise from intestines

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
for some reason, my intestines have been making loud gurgling sounds (sounds like i'm passing gas, but obviously i'm not). it's been happening in the mornings on weekdays where i have early classes. the noise is quite annoying and it doesn't help that it always seems to turn up at quiet periods in class. i've been having the same breakfast for years now: one bowl cereal and a cup of coffee. it occurred to me that these could be causing the problem so i changed both of these (had a full breakfast with eggs, bread, etc. and stayed away from coffee). it didn't help. another thing that i've noticed is that the problem doesn't occur on weekends or days where i have nomorning classes. i'm not a very nervous or anxious person either, so i don't think that's the problem. anybody have suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper PAH
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
There can be different causes for a growling noise your intestines are producing.
Although, you state that you aren't very nervous person, still, it seems like stress from getting up early in the mornings and stress from classes, have some effect on your intestinal motility (some people, like irritable bowel syndrome sufferers have increased sensitivity within the gut to external stimuli such as stress).
Sometimes, eating and drinking too fast, leads to swallowing too much air, causing growling noise.
If this symptom is associated with abdominal pain, abdominal bloating and early morning diarrhea or constipation, the cause could be Irritable bowel syndrome.
Another possibility is incomplete digestion of certain types of food (celiac disease, lactose intolerance)

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied May 27th, 2009
Possible cause of your intestinal sounds
I am no doctor, but I do know that the human body is an entire chemical process. When we are under that age of about 22 we have strong enzymes to break down food when we eat and drink different kinds of foods and beverages As we get older we do not produce the same enzymes to break down our food. As a result our chemical body has trouble breaking down the foods that were easier to break down when we were younger For example, when a person is a teenager the digestion of milk is easy, as we get older it is more diificult, many of us become lactose intolerant. The bowel sounds are the food having difficulty being broken down.
Againt his is what I think, it all makes sense to me.
|

replied May 31st, 2009
I also have the intestinal sounds. Mine started out only happening in the morning, and seemed to be triggered by coffee. I cut coffee out for a while and it helped the noises, but they came back eventually no matter what I ate in the morning. Now they happen just about every time I eat. I am 19 years old also so it can't be my age. And they are not caused by anxiety because they happen all the time when I'm at home and relaxed, and there were many times where I was anxious (like tests in class) and my stomach did not make a sound. I think mine was triggered by antibiotics (8 months course). According to a site that I found, using the antibiotics that I took can lead to : Bacterial Dysbiosis, Leaky Gut Syndrome, Candida infection, Liver detoxification/impaired liver function. Have you taken any antibiotics recently?
|

replied January 10th, 2011
What is that gurgling noise in my stomach?
Your small intestine, where 90% of nutrients are absorbed, is approximately 20 feet long. As your food passes through your small intestine on the way to your large intestine, its contractile waves move food around to enhance absorption. This is where the gurgling comes in.

Gurgling sounds are actually the result of air and liquid in your bowels, which move about by the contractions of your intestines. This is medically known as peristalsis. The sounds can be heard with a stethoscope over your abdomen and often, they are loud enough to be audible to people near you.

That gurgling noise is actually a good thing! If your abdomen is totally silent most of the time, it may be an indicator of constipation.
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
Intestinal Disorders Forum
I am 18 years old and I suffer from the same exact thing only sometimes I experience flatulence. I went to the doctor and he did an ultra sound on me and it revealed nothing. He said I was perfectly fine. I am desperately looking for an answer to this problem. Not only is this condition embarrassing (because of the noises) but it also produces stress on me.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Candida may cause gurgles for all day. Generally, the cells lining the small intestines consume Glutamine at a voracious rate, using up to 30% of the circulatory pool. One of the primary suspects for leaky gut syndrome is always candida albicans. Leaky gut syndrome refers to digestive disturbances and infections caused by severe inflammation of the intestine. So, leaky gut test is obvious for this situation.
|

replied November 4th, 2012
Wow I have the same problem. I'm not sure if other people can hear the noises though because nobody seems to notice or stare at me weirdly ...
|
Quick Reply