Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Gurgling from abdomen

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
For over six months now, I have been having gurgling noises coming from the abdomen and loose stool, but no pain and I haven't lost any weight whatsoever. Sought medical help and had many blood and stool tests done. I even had endoscopy and colonoscopy. The MD has no answers for me and tells me not to worry. I am just curious as to what might have caused this. Any educated guesses, anyone?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2009
Intestinal Disorders Answer A5912

According to the symptoms you reported, you might be experiencing increased bowel movements and/or meteorism. Meteorism is presence of gasses in the bowels causing distension. The distension might be accompanied with pain. The increased bowel movements cause the food to pass the colon fast. Giving the fact that the colon is responsible for absorption of water, the shortened time leads to insufficient absorption and loose stool. You might reconsider if some type of food worsens the symptoms and then try to avoid it.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.