Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

"Growth" on gums? not an abscess

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
For the last several months, I have had reoccurring lumps of sorts on my gums. They started about a day after my last dental visit, where I had x-rays and all of the other usual dentist checkup-y things done and they didn't find any abscesses or any signs of oral cancer, or anything wrong except for some cavities that needed to be filled and early signs of gum disease due to poor dental care when I was younger and lack of checkups for a year or two. As far as I know abscesses or oral cancer (at least not in the stage of what I would consider to be a tumor, if it were cancer) don't just "appear" in a day after having x-rays and a full workup done on my mouth. I do have 2 teeth with cavities in the back of my mouth, which I think I have had for a while (one on each side, actually below where the lumps are) but the dentist didn't think either of them were THAT bad, but should be filled as soon as possible, though due to me not having any insurance he didn't see any reason that with proper personal dental care it couldn't be taken care of a little bit later when things were more financially stable and I had my insurance issue settled.. and then I could come in for a deep cleaning because I have relatively bad plaque/tartar buildup on my lower front teeth in the back, possibly elsewhere as else, I honestly don't remember what he said. I do have my wisdom teeth coming in slowly, but they are ONLY coming in on the bottom, nowhere near where my issues are. For whatever reason, the x-ray showed that I don't have top wisdom teeth.

Anyway, I have these lumps on my gums, and everything I have ever read about abscesses says that they cause pain, usually immense pain, but mine don't cause any pain at all. They're not even a tiny bit sore, and they go away intermittently but then raise back up, usually in the morning when I wake up. It doesn't feel like they "drain" so much as inflame or swell. They are usually always above the back teeth on my gums, the one on the right is about the size of a jellybean, and is newer than the one on the left. The one on the right feels like I can move it with my tongue, like I can push it around and lift up part of it with my tongue, almost like it's leaf shaped with part of it being attached and the remainder of it being movable, but this is a new thing and before the lump has always just been a solid lump, never anything movable. The one on the left is smaller, and usually less inflamed than the right one usually. They feel as though they're filled with something, though I've read and heard that when an abcess bursts there is a VERY bitter and unpleasant taste in your mouth from the pus. When my... well, whatever they are, go down, I don't taste anything in my mouth, much less anything bitter or gross, and they don't hurt when they go down or when they re-appear. They slightly vary in size, but are always smaller than a jellybean, which is the biggest they ever get, and they don't get that big very often. The one on the right is pretty flat, and the ones on the left are usually more lumpy. As for color... the last I checked they are the same pinkish color of my gums, not white or yellow or anything. I don't have any underlying conditions, I am otherwise medically healthy.

Any ideas as to what this is or how to go about treating it? I went on a cycle of antibiotics back in September when I first was terrified I had dental abcesses, but they didn't go away. My GP thought that maybe they weren't dental abcesses or a dental infection... but wasn't sure what they were since there was no pain and they didn't go away with antibiotics. I can't get to the doctor/dentist again until March at the earliest due to insurance, again.

EDIT: As I have posted this question a couple of times, a few of the answers I have recieved have believed it to be a clogged salivary gland. The fact that this is on my upper, outer gum leads me to believe it is not in fact a Mucocele, as those are common on the roof of the mouth, under the tongue, and on the bottom lip / possibly cheek, etc. Mine is above my very last tooth on the right side on the top.. it wouldn't make sense for it to be there I don't think. Also, everything I have looked up has said that these blocked salivary glands are usually blueish in color, and mine are pink just like the gums around them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2009
re "Growth" on gums? not an abscess
I have the exact same problem, on my left hand side 3rd molar, tooth has been filled some years ago, no sign of decay on recent xray, dentist gave 3 courses of antibiotics and now is stumped for an answer to what it is. Like you say, mine is often larger in the morning, if I press on it I can sometimes get a white fluid to come out. Did you ever find out what this was?
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Re: Growth on Gums? Not an Abscess
Did you ever find out what was wrong with you? I have had this happen to me 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Mine has started right after eating & gotten worst over night, but then gone away the next day. Help!
|

replied August 22nd, 2009
Exactly same symptoms
I also have similar symptoms, a very small swelling, same color as my gums , filled with a watery fluid, flattens if I press it and reappears. I do not have any pain or any irritation. Just an uncanny feeling of something being at the wrong place. If anyone of you have found the reason and the cure for this, please reply to this post.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
I have the exact same thing. I just had a baby and it appeared the day after I gave birth. Apparently this is common in pregnancy. Is anyone else who posted this pregnant?
|

replied December 10th, 2009
In pregnancy this is called a pregnancy epulis. I had a link to another medical site posted with information about the condition, but apparently it violated the policies of this site and I got a warning. Makes me seriously question the motives of this site. Clearly it is not interested in helping people, just in advertising dollars.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
ive been takin amoxicillan for 6 days now and it seems to be almost gone I jus it doesnt come back when i stop taking it.
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Groth on bad tooth
my son has this on a bad tooth of his. I'm worried we have no insurance. Did anyone figure out what this is or what you can do about it? please write me.
|

replied October 19th, 2010
Did anyone find any answers? My very dear friend just called and said she had a white tooth like growth on her gum. I became terribly upset because what she described is EXACTLY what my cat had. I thought it was very unusual to have what looked like another tooth popping out of his gum. I waited and when it did not go away I took him to the vets. It was a very agressive form of oral cancer which took his life soon after. I do not want to loose my best friend. She will not go see a dentist for financial reasons. So I was hoping for some different answers for this strange phenomenon.
|

replied November 5th, 2010
i do also have this kind of dental case. before, when i was having some toothache problems, the lumps appear on the above sides of my molar. after a couple of months, it disappeared. now, i have a decayed molar and lumps grow back again. this time, its inside my decayed molar. i was very curious about it because sometimes it grow bigger and swollen like a small bean. is there any explanation for this? please reply
|

replied August 6th, 2011
growth on gum? If not tumor, what is it?
hmmm. I have a hard, smooth growth on my gum (top back right tooth)right above the tooth. My dentist wants me to see a periodontist to see what it is. It is soft tissue (gum problem) not bone/tooth problem. No pain but I can feel the bulbous hard growth. It doesn't go away and color is like the rest of my gums;nothing different. If not a tumor, what?
|